Portable Thickness Planers!

Old 02-28-07, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Portable Thickness Planers!

Just wondering... those of you who own a portable thickness planer, which brand and model do you own?

I used the Makita 2012NB the other day and was *really* impressed with both its weight, speed and quality of finish. It weighs only 61 lbs and is VERY portable.

Old 02-28-07, 05:57 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I just have a cheap 10" harbor freight planer, although it is portable I've mounted it on a stand. While I don't use it professionally I've been fairly happy with it. The only major complaint I have is after 10 yrs HF no longer carries the drive belt and wouldn't you know it - it is an inbetween size. I have kept it going with a 1 size [1/2"] longer belt with the addition of an idler. Maybe it's time for a newer, better one after my ship comes in

Old 02-28-07, 06:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I found a Ridgid on sale (what else) at HD 13", and really like it. I have it mounted on a old cast frame Powermate stand.

Old 02-28-07, 08:12 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I bought a 13'' Dewalt 3 yrs ago works great. Has three blades for a better finish.

Old 02-28-07, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Great replies... keep em coming. Regarding the Dewalt, I've read a lot of reviews on that one, many mention the expensive replacement blades, and say they get dull quickly. What has been your experience with them? I know some people don't plane enough stock to need to change blades often, but I wondered what you thought?

Old 03-01-07, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Can't comment on the Dewalt, but I like the fact that you can reverse the first set of knives when they get dull on the Ridgid, and probably on all, not sure. The only other thing I would buy with the planer, no matter what brand you decide on is a metal detector. I thin out the back side of old wood to make frames, and boxes, and have the ever present fear of hitting a nail, which will cause you to cry really bad. Using the metal detector has saved many blades for me.

Old 03-05-07, 07:16 AM
J
portable planers

I've got a Dewalt two blader. Plently of power, don't take off too much on each pass. I've been planing 13foot long red oak planks around 12" wide. It's a real chore for a small planer like the one I have. Need lots of support rollers on both sides of the machine. red oak is tough on planer knives. Two knives at Lowes costs 40 bucks and it costs around 30 bucks to have them sharpened. You'll know when it's time to sharpen them. The woods gets a fuzzy look to the surface! Some boards are so cupped that I rip them, plane them and joint them and connect them back together with dowels and glue and lots of bar clamps. I them sent the whole thing through the planer and its difficult to see the joint line.

With new knives, the oak trim I've made doesn't need any sanding! Just follow the directions when installing the new knives and also be careful! those new knives are slippery and very very sharp. Definitely connect the shop vac to the dust chute and use ear plugs and eye protection. Dust mask helps too!

I usually start with 5/4 boards ( 1 inch thick) and it takes several passes to get a nice finished 3/4" board. Good luck and be careful with your sawdust maker. JB

Old 03-05-07, 02:36 PM
i have a 13" delta that i have had for 10 plus years and it does good.
blades are reverseible.

Old 03-05-07, 07:20 PM
S
Regarding the Dewalt, I've read a lot of reviews on that one, many mention the expensive replacement blades, and say they get dull quickly. What has been your experience with them? I know some people don't plane enough stock to need to change blades often, but I wondered what you thought?

I've had my dewalt 3yrs, replaced the blades once. The blades had a nick in them from a pebble or something. Never did figure it out. I didn't think the blades were priced to high considering the finish I get. I've been working with ash lately extremely hard wood. Planed probably 300 bd ft. with this project and haven't had any issues with dull blades. Am very pleased with it.

Old 03-06-07, 05:36 PM
J
dewalt planers - go Bucks

Hey fellow Buckeye! Lets hope the hoops go better than the Football team this year. I was there during the Archie Griffin years. Anyway, the Dewalt planer is a great machine especially if you're patient and take no more than a 32nd on a pass. I brush off my roughsawn before I send it through. Red oak is hard and one thing I notice that the rollers lose their grip and need to be cleaned once in a while. running 12-14 foot long boards through the dewalt is a little challenging. I've got two sets of knives in the grinding shop to be sharpened. Who cares if they charge me 30 bucks a set. Look what HD wants for a board foot of red oak. My next project is quartering up a 270 year old white oak log that is 35" in diameter. Woodmizer will give me some nice quartersawn boards for my arts and crafts projects at home. Go Bucks. Take Care. JB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: