Rechargeable tool batteries

Old 05-08-07, 11:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rechargeable tool batteries

I have the craftsman 19.2 volt battery powered tools. Is it OK to leave the battery in the charger over a long period of time until it is actually needed?

Old 05-08-07, 02:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
Assuming you have the same charger I do, it will quit charging once the battery is fully charged. I often put one of my batteries on the charger when I quit in the evening and the battery is fully charged when I come back but the charger is off.

The red light indicates it is charging and the green light comes on when fully charged.

Old 05-08-07, 03:14 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the informaiton. That is what I thought when I read the manual. However, I have two batteries that have the letters "EX" on them. I also have two older ones. The older ones are working fine, but the EX ones are just about worthless. Even when fully charged, there is little power, and it doesn't last long. I got a response from the Sears technical people that the EX batteries develop memory problems unless they are fully depeleted before being recharged. Have you had any experience with these EX batteries or heard of any problems?

Old 05-09-07, 04:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 722 Upvotes on 633 Posts
I've always heard that you should completely drain a tool battery before charging so that's what I always do. I've had my 19.2 EX battery/tools for a couple of years with no problems. I previously had a 9.6 drill [different brand] but never had any battery problems until the tail end of their life cycle [3-5 yrs?]

Old 05-09-07, 05:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
That is one good thing about dewalt XRP batteries. They will run the drill to the last screw, then they won't even start the next one. When they die, they die. A good charging, and in about an hour, they are good for the rest of the day. But I still find I have to replace them every few years, ouch. $100 a pair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: