Campbell Hausfeld Brad nailer mis-fire

Old 05-18-07, 11:40 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Campbell Hausfeld Brad nailer mis-fire

I brought a Campbell Hausfeld nailer kit from Costco with a good deal ($150).

Also, I brought a 8 gallon, 2HP compressor to connect the nailer. But when I tried to check out the smaller nailer - 1 1/4" Brad 18g nailer on a scrap wood trim, by using the sample nails packed with the nailer, I found the nailer didn't shoot out the nail every time (50% time no nails), even though I could hear the compress air press sound! I haven't got chance to check out other two nailers yet.

I read the manuals for nailer and compressor over and over, I didn't see anything missing. I set the pressure around 80psi, as the nailer requires 60-100psi.

Do you think it was nailer problem, or it was me - I have never used a nailer before?

Old 05-18-07, 12:08 PM
if its looking for 80 to 100psi I would set it at 100 .

sounds like a bad gun ,

Old 05-18-07, 04:09 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Guns will misfire if the pressure is too low. If turning the pressure up doesn't do it, take the gun back and try a different one.

Old 05-18-07, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Also, if any of your nail strips were broken, and you tried to piece them back together, they will ride up on each other, sometimes and cause a jam.

Old 05-19-07, 05:51 AM
As previously suggested, check the magazine for nail strips hanging up or the follower not exerting sufficient compression to push the strip forward. Might take out the nails and blow out any debris that might have lodged in the nose where the nails emerge. With such small nails (I have one of these as well), more than one nail can jam into the space for the driver blade to push.

These small brads are usually only glued together. Sight down a strip to see if the heads or bodies of a strip are out of alignment. Consider buying another brand of quality brads to see if they will feed better. Could be a batch of cheap fasteners that are the cause.

Old 05-19-07, 02:14 PM
K
What length of brad are you using?

The reason I ask is because with these cheaper nail guns you get a cheaper product. I have the same problem with mine when shooting 1 1/4" brads, but 1" and under has no mis-fire issues.

It had nothing to do with pressure being to low or to high, nothing about broken nail strips, etc. I even rebuilt the cylinder.

Taking it back and exchanging for another probably won't help as I tryed this and still had the same problem. I just finally admitted you get what you pay for. There is a reason why other major brands of nailer cost so much more for a single gun as compared to the CH combo pack.

Try using 1" brads, chances are the mis-firing will stop.

Old 05-20-07, 08:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
But if the 1" brads won't do for your particular project, use the proper size and check for broken strips, or use a better brand of brads.

Old 05-21-07, 09:57 AM
H
I used 1 1/4" nail which comes with the compressor as sample.

Yeah, I returned it back to Costco and exchanged a same gun. It is better now. Instead of 50% no nail out, now I may get 10% no nail. I will try to load a 1" nail to see the result.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: