Circular saw electric brake needed????

Old 05-20-07, 03:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circular saw electric brake needed????

Hi guys, i'm buying my first circular saw for my upcoming projects on my first house. I've read a bunch of reviews and i think i'm sold on the Milwaukee 6390 7 1/4" saw. This model doesn't have the electric blade brake on it. The 6394 model does, but it will cost me another $70 to get that model over the Milwaukee 6390-21. I live in Canada and our prices are a lot higher than in the US. Do you think it's really a worthwhile feature? I plan on having this saw for many many years.

Old 05-20-07, 05:25 PM
I think its worth it , when I bought my PC 325 It was 20-25 more than the 324

I look at safety features as the cost vs cost of emergency room visit and possible permanent injury

70 seems cheap in comparison

Old 05-21-07, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have the makita with brake (and light)..and I like the brake and think its worth the xtra cost. It helps when making many cuts. I know the light thing may seem overkill, but I have used it on many occassions when the natural lighting is poor.
Just my $.02 CAD worth...lol. (I guess that's about $.015 USD)...

Old 05-21-07, 11:26 AM
R
A guy i work with who does carpentry work on the side said it's a worthless feature because it will just burn out over time. What do you guys think of that?? I've never heard of that before.

Old 05-21-07, 11:44 AM
S
Funny...I'd think a carpy would want the brake
In fact, I don't think it's worthwhile to get the brake for occasional hobby/DIY-type use
I think it's more for high production situations where shaving a few seconds off every cut can make a difference

But I never thought if it as a safety feature

Old 05-22-07, 08:22 AM
M
Seems pretty useless to me. I bought my first circular saw over 30 years ago and my latest just last year. None have had a brake. I wouldn't pay extra for one that did.

Old 05-22-07, 06:32 PM
I have to admit.. I didnt have to pay for it. It was a Co. replacement for My old Skilsaw (without a brake) that died on the job. - So it didnt cost me...tho now, you can get it for close to the price of 1 w/o the brake...
Turns out my old Skilsaw safety button was on the fritz....so I pulled it out..and the saw now works. Its now my shop back-up.
The safety issue is there, with..or w/out the brake..with the spring loaded blade guide...!
Either way....Keep your fingers AWAY...from spinning blades....Duh!!!!

Old 05-23-07, 05:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
IMO the best thing about a blade brake is when you are working hard, the blade guard is packed with saw dust, you make a cut and set the saw down, if the gaurd sticks a spinning blade will let the saw walk across whatever it is set on. I've seen more than one hardwood floor needing repair/replaced from this happening

Old 05-23-07, 07:11 PM
Good point .. for those of us who do/use this...somewhat regularly.
For a P/T DIY'er...perhaps the brake isnt necessary...- but if I can get a little more out of a saw....I'll take it.
Either way...something is about to wear out...w/-or w/out a brake/lite or whatever.
The best thing I always recommend..is whatever tool fits best in your hand/or grip ..is what will probably do the best job...with your precission gutting....!!
Some tools/saws are 'heavy' to your feel... then thats not a good tool for you.
If you're not comfortable with handling 'a specific' tool/saw...than look for one that fits your specific needs/feel, then your work will be rewarded.

Old 05-23-07, 08:25 PM
R
thanks guys. I think what i'll do is look for a deal on one with a brake, and if it doesn't come around i'll just buy the regular milwaukee tilt lock saw that gets good reviews. I felt it in the store and it feels good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: