Best online store for tools?

Old 05-21-07, 06:41 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best online store for tools?

I'm looking to move into my first home & need to buy lots of tools. Is there an online store that's better than going to Home Depot or Loews & is cheaper?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-07, 06:55 PM
T
Cheap tools are not always good. Good tools at a good price is always good.

Look at prices at local hardware stores and home centers. Find what you like and then do the comparison shopping online. Consider shipping costs. You might want to begin your online search at www.hardwareandtools.com Sometimes you can find good prices on eBay.

Old 05-21-07, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The online stores will have a much more varied type of tool selection, but I really don't think, in what you say in your OP, you are ready for that type tool selection. Not taking away from your skills by any means. These tools are advanced tools and cost alot of money, and by no means are they basic. I think you are looking to stock a primary shop. If I am wrong, let us know.
In addition, they will eat you up on shipping costs.
One such site is Rockler.com, and another is Harville Tools, as well as others.
I always like to "feel" a tool before I buy it, just to see if it fits my hands. For instance I have a Hilti 1/2" drill that I truly hate. The handle is angled too far back for comfort, and my hand will cramp after using it much. It was given to me, so the price was right.
Now for specific opinions on tools, we can give them to you, as there are a bunch of pros that use them daily. Another opinion, the Porter Cable left hand 7 1/4" circular saw is, by far, my best "goof". I bought it, and after using it, will never go back to a right hand saw, ever.
Big tools, likewise, feel the handles to make sure they feel good. Sears has a compound miter saw that has a handle that sticks straight back, rather than being in a "D" design. Very uncomfortable.
Let us know what you need, and we can help spend your money. Hear that, Rapture!! (one of our tool nuts)

Old 05-21-07, 07:17 PM
I like amazon , eBay can be good if you know what your doing .

harbor freight is good if your selective get on there email list they have 15-20 % off coupons pretty regular

while not online , flea markets ,garage and estate sales can be good

Old 05-22-07, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I have also bought a lot of tools from Harbor Freight. Their cheap tools are cheap but their top of the line tools while not as nice as name brands are worth the money, especially for diy type use. Occasionally they also offer great deals on reconditioned or overstocked name brand tools.

All that said it is still nicer to be able to go to a store and feel/inspect the tool you are considering buying - easier to determine the quality and how comfortable it will be for you to use.

Old 05-22-07, 10:42 AM
L
thanks for the replies. this was my reasoning and maybe someone can help.
i know i need the basic tools- hammer, 14v drill, compressor, saws, etc & i figured since i do most of my shopping online that with this list in mind it just made sense that the same home depot brands would be cheaper online, but i may be wrong in this case. if i was going to get no tax & free shipping, i can se if its worth it if i was getting the same brands as home depot.

any ideas or comments? just looking for a good starting point, thanks.

Old 05-22-07, 10:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
I think researching tools online has many benifits but I prefer to see and inspect the tool in person. Once you have an idea of what brand or features you want you can compare the prices between local and online.

Battery operated tools should have replacement batteries or charger readily available. With electrtic tools, generally the higher the amp the better the motor.

Old 05-22-07, 11:03 AM
D
Definitely do some searching and calculating. I've done most shopping online too. The tools I buy are usually from Amazon b/c they have sales and free shipping offers as well. I then would compare it to another store...and most times it's cheaper. If you do one tool at a time and compare it, that will help out a lot. Just like chandler and marksr mentioned, it's good to get a feel of the tool or see if you know someone who has one and they like it and recommend it. Amazon has customer reviews on products (tools) most times and some of the reviews are pretty good with the specifics (pros and cons). It's good read up on those if you have no idea.

If you don't have specific projects yet, wait until you do. You might end up buying a bunch of tools you don't need or change your mind.

Old 05-22-07, 11:24 AM
Thumbs up Harbor Freight is also my pick

The tools as previously posted are not top of the line but my $99 air power tool kit is still working great. Lots of good tools and if you know how to work the Harbor Freight system, you can get catalog codes for further discounts and freebies. Just search for Harbor Freight codes and you will find forums that trade them. There is also a hack where you can codes around a little bit to get even a further discount. I haven't used HF for a while so I can't verify if that still works.

Old 05-22-07, 07:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Nearly all my daily tools, such as nailers, saws, compressors, etc. are name brand, and possibly top of the line, but it is because I do this stuff for a living. I also have Harbor Freight tools, like a grinder. Heck, I use it once or twice a year, so buying a high priced one didn't make sense. It still works, and appears to be easily repaired if the brushes need changing, etc. Make sure you can buy replacement parts if you do buy from discounters, and make sure your battery powered tools come with two batteries, not just one. I have a HF brad nailer that the safety bar broke on. No replacement parts available, so it is basically junk, because I won't allow anyone to use it without the safety.

Old 05-22-07, 10:39 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I hardly ever buy tools online because I want to compare them in my hand, not on a screen.

Old 05-23-07, 03:22 AM
C
Received 6 Votes on 5 Posts
Another alternative

Another source: CraigsList.org, which is a free classifieds posting site. You can choose your city from the list and find classified ads for just about anything, including tools. If you know what equipment you're looking for you can find a good price. If you go this route, here's a hint: you can search the entire site, not just the Tools section, and find tools in the General section, or Garage Sales, etc.

A while back I was browsing the Home Deep, and later went to WalMart- and saw the same Stanley gear for less.

Old 05-23-07, 05:52 AM
no reason you cant go to the store , compare the feel of tools , find the model you like then go online and buy it at a discount

Old 05-24-07, 11:55 PM
R
I do agree with Harbor Freight for tools. That store is just cool.

I don't, however, agree with DIY. Buying too many tools may not be the best idea....but it does make your garage look a lot cooler

Old 05-25-07, 05:24 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Rapture: "I don't, however, agree with DIY. Buying too many tools may not be the best idea."

The first step at Tool Buying Addicts Anonymous is admitting you have a problem.

Old 05-25-07, 05:47 AM
S
"i know i need the basic tools- hammer, 14v drill, compressor, saws, etc & i figured since i do most of my shopping online that with this list in mind it just made sense that the same home depot brands would be cheaper online, but i may be wrong in this case. if i was going to get no tax & free shipping, i can se if its worth it if i was getting the same brands as home depot."

You are operating under a few misconceptions
1) If you see a Stanley hammer at Home depot, it is the same Stanley hammer that is in the local tool store and the same one in the online tool store
This is false
This is assuming if it has the same Brand name, it's the same
Not true at all
HD has many exclusive models, and most are de-spec'd versions of the tool shop models (they don't sell tools cheap just because of volume-that's a myth)
Most Brands make cheap stuff too, they know that some people will not pay more than X for a product
There is a reason the tool shop hammer is more money
They'll be a reason the online hammer is more/less money

2) Everything is cheaper online
Also not true
It is true that sometimes you can save a little money online, but aside from other costs (such as shipping-it's not "free", it's figured into the price) there are other hidden costs
Such as attempting to return a defective product, that can be a nightmare

3) A saw is a saw and a hammer is a hammer
They are not all the same
The best saw or hammer for me, would not be the saw or hammer for you
If they do not feel good, or fit your hands well, they will not be used properly or often
You will dread using them
It's not the saws fault, it's that you bought one that doesn't fit you and your hands
I don't care how much you "saved", if you hate using it, it's not worth it

My suggestion:
Though online tool stores can be helpful, don't by things like saws, hammers, drills, with out trying them first
Those are best purchased in a Tool Store where you can try the different models, see what fits, and ask knowledgeable sales people about the differences
Well worth any any (if any-these store owners know what's online and how much btw), small percentage of price over other sources

Old 05-27-07, 03:58 PM
D
I use www.toolking.com in Denver because I'm on the west coast. I have also used www.tylertool.com, but they are in the South, I think Mississippi and the shipping takes too long.

You might look at re-conditioned tools as most carry a new tool warrenty.

Hope I am not too late.

Last edited by Dan Thompson; 05-27-07 at 04:02 PM. Reason: wrong post