Ryobi Batteries

Old 07-04-07, 07:30 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Ryobi Batteries

Are the Ryobi 18+ batteries any good? Will they last? I am considering starting with a new set. The batteries are cheaper to buy, just want to be sure this is not a false saving if the battery life is too short.

Please tell me your opinions. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-07, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I got a little over two years with my first set , before they started to get weak . I bought new ones but still use the old ones for the flashlight where they do just fine

they work in the tools but don't hold a charge long under a load

39.00 for a pair of replacement batteries you can afford to have a few around

I think roybi offers a lot of bang for the buck .

BTW ,I replaced a dewalt with Ryobi , owned Milwaukee, and makita before that

Old 07-04-07, 11:42 AM
Batteries

Thanks, Mango. I appreciate the information. I think I will give Ryobi a try this time around. Craftsman is killing my budget. Thanks again.

Old 07-04-07, 11:58 AM
I purchased a ryobi 18V drill, 2 batteries...package deal. Best deal I ever got on batteries and drill.

Batteries hold charge almost indefinetly (till you use 'em of course). Been a year since the purchase...no complaints.

Far better than the dewalt 12V I had. (good quality device, but batteries suck). And cheaper to replace the batteries when the time comes.

IMHO go with the ryobi.

Jim

Old 07-04-07, 07:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ken: the earlier Ryobi batteries didn't seem to hold up as well as the newer ones. At 18v, once you put some torque on it, they heat up, naturally. Well, it seemed the internal battery bank was tied together with thin metal strips and couldn't take the heat. I had to resolder several of them to make them work.
I bought 2 new batteries and used it a while, then gave it to one of my helpers when I bought some new stuff, and he is still using it.

Old 07-05-07, 07:01 AM
Ryobi Tools

Thanks for all the good feedback on this.

Chandler, do you have an 18v. jig saw in your collection? If so, are you satisfied with the performance?

I plan to go this route to replace some worn-out stuff. Thanks again, guys.

Old 07-05-07, 08:11 AM
Ive got the 18 volt jigsaw and I would say it is as good as a low end corded one .

not the performance of say a Bosch but every bit as good as low to mid price craftsman or B&D corded saw

I find it real useful for cutting conduit

Old 07-05-07, 09:48 AM
Jig Saw

Thanks again, Mango. Your feedback is what I was looking for. I would be using it to trim prehung door casings. Seems like it should work fine for that. Thanks again.

Old 07-05-07, 10:28 AM
no problem Ken sounds like ti would be just fine for you .

sounds like maybe your looking at a 18volt kit ?

heres my assessment of the ryobi 18v tools I own

Flashlight (I have three ) I love them nice to always have a nice bright light with you

circular saw , great for what it is , handy for small quick jobs wont replace my corded 15 amp ones

Recepricating saw ..exceeds my expectations with a good blade does all I need

hammer drill , works great , good power

1/2 drill ..does all I need

Fan ...really nice to have at times

hand vacuum ...works ok (I understand the shop vac works pretty good but I havent tried it )

chainsaw ...you got to be kidding ..what a joke .

Ive read a lot of good reviews of the impact driver and would love to pick one up .

there are a lot of specialty tools that work off the battery system

check them out here
http://www.oneplustools.com/

I'm not going to kid myself that its the best cordless available but Ive been pleased with it and you get a lot of bang for the buck its not low end junk by any means

I don't expect them to preform as well a high quality corded tool , but Ive been real pleased and haven't regretted the purchase

Old 07-05-07, 07:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
NO, I haven't graduated completely into the battery powered field, yet. Someday. My jigsaw is a Freud, and, although quite expensive, it was designed by the same guy who put a V8 in the 1965 Chevy Nova. No air exhaust at the blade, duh. It has serviced me many years, but i am about ready to drop it off a building somewhere. The blade wanders, too. But that could be with age. We all tend to do that.

Old 07-06-07, 11:58 PM
Here comes Rapture!

Yep...18V Ryobi....count me in!

I love my Ryobi collection. I have the
Flashlight, original drill, newer kit drill, impact driver, circ saw, recip saw, chainsaw, leaf blower, garden sprayer, radio, roto-zip type saw, hammer drill, small hand held wet vac, sander and I think some others as well (brain cramp). I also have about 7 batteries and a few chargers. I have all the batteries just is case...I'm doing a big project and eating batteries.

The biggest regret is the worthless chainsaw. My recip saw is the choice other than the chainsaw. I wish I had the jigsaw, but haven't justified it yet....I'm working on it though

I think Ryobi is the best dollar for dollar purchases I've personally made....Some may disagree about the brand, but works wonders for me.