Pressure Washer

Old 09-23-07, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure Washer

I am shopping for a pressure washer. The question: is 1500 psi to whimpy for normal around the house use. I plan on using it to wash the driveway, clean the deck and siding and washing the car. Also electric ones look really cheap. I assume like most things you get what you pay for. Is this true? Any one have bad experieces with any brand?
Thanks
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-07, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Joe,

The pressure rating alone is not enough of a measure to know how a washer will perform.
Pressure along with GPM (gallons per minute) are needed to assess a washer's capabilities.

The problem with electric washers are that ones that are meant to be plugged into a 115 volt, 15 amp receptacle can not draw enough power to have a high enough pressure and GPM for most uses.
A gas engine powered one overcomes this problem.

I would look for a washer at an industrial supply company like Northern Tools but shop around there are many other places to buy quality washers.
Box stores and lumberyards would be the last place to look mainly because you might not have a quality washer to compare most of theirs to.

If looking for a gas model you will see a definite difference in the quality of the pump used on a vertical shaft, lawnmower type engines than on a horizontal shaft one.

Not sure how much you want to spend but compared to other models this one would be a top of the line unit for a homeowner.
For something to compare to they have many different style units but like I said, shop around.

This unit is 2700 [email protected] 2.7 GPM which is quite high but the advantage to this is you can both turn down the pressure for more delicate washing or buy different nozzles to lower the pressure but increase the GPM water flow rate.

What price range did you have in mind?