Air Tool Oiling

Old 09-28-07, 09:29 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air Tool Oiling

Hi, I've never used air tools before, but I just got a 3/8 ratchet and a 1/2 impact wrench. My question is: how should I oil them? I will only be using them for small, infrequent jobs, e.g. removing and installing car wheels to rotate them twice a year, and other infrequent, small jobs. Do I just squirt some oil in the airhose connecctor before each use? Should I do that before each wheel? If there is a spefific oil port, it's not obvious. There is one small thing with what appears to be a spring loaded seal about the size of a paperclip. Is that an oil hole that requires a special filler tool? Should I use airtool oil only, or can I use regular non-detergent small engine oil? Any help or suggestions you can provide would be appreciated.

Old 09-28-07, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Someone who uses air tools for extended periods would normally oil them daily.
I would say that a few drops when you first get the tools and then one drop with each infrequent use.

You would put the oil in the air connection of the tool.

The hole you are referring to might be for the mechanical parts of the tool as opposed to the air motor.

If you got a parts list with the tool it should show what this extra opening leads to.

Old 09-28-07, 10:39 AM
S
Thanks GregH. I'm glad you clarified how little to use, I would have loaded it up.

Now, what oil should I use? Do I need special airtool oil, or is regular small engine oil OK?

The tools came with a craftsman compressor I bought, but neither tool had any manual or partslist with it. And I definitely didn't trust the salesman. He said too many things that I knew were bogus. Sure seems like Sears is going downhill.

Old 09-28-07, 01:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If I'm not mistaken my impact has an oil port but I oil it just like the rest of my air tools - a couple drops in the air inlet. I usually use tool oil but often substitute 3in1 oil. I don't know about using motor oil - it might be too heavy.

Old 09-28-07, 04:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
There is oil labled specifically for air tools. I usually put two or three drops in the air port before each use.

Old 09-28-07, 06:03 PM
S
OK, I'll get some airtool oil. Thanks a lot guys. Appreciate your help.

Old 10-08-07, 08:11 PM
M
I use Marvel Mystery Oil. Works real well and smells GREAT!!

I keep it in a spray bottle and lube all my tools as well as spray the exterior to prevent rust.

Old 10-09-07, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator
Marvel Mystery Oil is advertised as a penetrating oil and an oil additive, not so much as a lubricant.
Over the longer term this product will damage your air tool.

You need a thicker oil to help provide a seal for the turbine in air tools which will make the tool run cooler.
Marvel does make an air tool oil with the "top secret" ingredient in it.

Once a year I will flood my air tools with a thin oil like WD-40 to flush it out and Mystery Oil might be good for this.

In the absence of air tool oil, 20 weight non-detergent motor oil would be a reasonable substitute for air tool oil.

Old 10-13-07, 08:29 PM
M
MMO is thicker than the oil that my tools came with.

Old 10-14-07, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Oh, ok.

The name is a brand name that covers several products and I must have misunderstood which you were using.

If you are happy with what you are putting in your air tools then that is a good thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: