hydraulic floor jack fluid

Old 11-27-07, 09:54 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hydraulic floor jack fluid

I have a 20 y old sears floor jack. It raises a load but gradually drops w/or w/o a load. I have never added oil and it looks a bit low. Is oil the problem or is the pump likely bad?
Also, jack oil is pricey, and the manual says no motor oil, just jack oil. I have heard that brake fluid is bad, but I might be able to use ATF. Any recommendation on a substitute oil?

Old 11-27-07, 10:30 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rleescott View Post
I have a 20 y old sears floor jack. It raises a load but gradually drops w/or w/o a load. I have never added oil and it looks a bit low. Is oil the problem or is the pump likely bad?
Also, jack oil is priceyAll oil has increased in price by 50 to 100%.., and the manual says no motor oil, just jack oil. I have heard that brake fluid is bad, but I might be able to use ATF. Any recommendation on a substitute oil?
Your pump is leaking.
Rebuildable ??? This may be more costly than buying a new Chinese unit, BUT, quite possibly, your rebuilt may out last the cheap replacement..
I'd use jack oil, why take an un-necessary chance..
Always seek a consensus.

Old 11-27-07, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
ATF is used as a hydraulic fluid in some applications but you have no way of knowing if it is compatible with your jack.
If not compatible it could damage the o rings and seals.

I have a collection of jacks of various types and my half bottle of jack oil has a thick coating of dust on it.
If you need that much oil that its cost is a concern it maybe time to replace the jack.

Old 11-27-07, 03:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
You should be able to buy jack oil [quart or pint] at most auto parts stores and some tool stores. I buy hydraulic fluid at tractor supply in a 2 gal jug - mostly for my tractor

I'd keep it full of oil and see how it does. If it leaks too much, I'd consider replacing jack.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: