can horizontal air compressor be stored upright

Old 12-28-07, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can horizontal air compressor be stored upright

I have not found the answer to my questions after searching the forum so here it is:

Can a horizontal air compressor be stored upright? It has an oiled lub pump.

The unit is horizontal but there is a bar on the bottom of the tank that should stay upright when stood up. I am considering this because of the sales price but since my garage is full, I want to store it upright.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-07, 01:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
The compressor itself cannot be in any position but horizontal. If there is another plate on the top of the tank, you may can mount the compressor on it and stand it vertically, but generally it must remain horizontal. This is to keep the oil available for use by the compressor.

Old 12-28-07, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Larry's correct that the pump must be level when in use but I'm not sure that it would hurt anything to store it in an upright position. I suspect it would need to sit level for awhile before it could safely be used. Might be a good idea to confrim the oil level before turning it on.

Wouldn't it be simplier to just build a shelf over the air compressor to store the items that would be in the way?

Old 12-28-07, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I do agree with the storage thing, but let it sit for a spell before you go power up on it. The lubrication comes from the sump in the bottom when horizontal. And, if space is a problem, I know you got a deal on it, but buying a vertical would solve all your problems.

Old 12-28-07, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Yeah, the tank is fine but the pump wouldn't store well at 90 degrees tilted. If you can't find a way to keep this one straight, a different compressor is probably the best answer.

Old 12-28-07, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
You should not store an oiled compressor in any position other than the position it operates in.

There is a breather in the crankcase and you could wind up with a pool of oil on the floor.
Also, oil could collect in the head space and may not drain out when you go to use it which would cause the pump to lock up.

Get an oil-less compressor if you want to turn yours sideways.

Old 12-29-07, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your replies. Guess I will look for a vertical compressor.