air compressor wont hold pressure

Old 02-03-08, 02:02 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
air compressor wont hold pressure

I have a ingersoll rand ss3r2 air compressor and it wont hold pressure. Air keeps leaking out constantly from the unloader valve (safety valve) that is by the pressure switch. When I turn off the compressor it still leaks from there. I know that a bad check valve will cause the unloader valve to release pressure when turned off but in my case it continously leaks from there on or off. Do you guys think its a bad unloader valve or a bad check valve. Let me know what you guys think.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-08, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums joeson!

Yours is probably one of the most common problems with compressors.

The way the unloader and check valve work make the check valve the most likely problem.
The check valve stops the air flow from reversing at the point the air discharge from the compressor enters the air storage tank.
When the compressor stops the unloader opens allowing the air to escape from the discharge line and compressor head.
No more air should be released than what is in this line.

If the unloader valve by itself is defective you would have air escaping while the compressor is running but it would stop when the compressor stops.

Here is another recent thread on this problem.

Old 02-03-08, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I'll probably replace the check valve and the unloader just to eliminate the possibilities of either or. I'll let you guys know how it is afterwards. Thanks

Old 02-03-08, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Many check valves come apart and sometimes they just need cleaning or at least you may see a damaged disk or seat.

Old 02-05-08, 09:14 PM
Got my parts today from Ingersoll Rand. Replaced the check valve and unloader and afterwards it was ok except when it reached pressure the pressure switch wouldn't shut off. I then replaced the air filter and changed the lubricant (almost empty) and then everything was fine. Got this compressor from my boss and he hadn't maintained it for at least 10 years and when it didn't work he just purchased a new one and gave this one to me. This was my first compressor so I had to do alot of reading up and found this site so thanks guys. Glad to be part of this forum.