Compressor won't turn off

Old 02-07-08, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Compressor won't turn off

OK, guys, before I send this compressor back a second time, see if you can help. Ridgid, double hotdog on wheels. Great compressor. Been using it for weeks on same jobsite. Drained every day, except last one. Turned it on today, went to nail, and the overpressure valve blew. Motor kept the compressor going. Short of it, it won't turn off once it has reached 125 psi. I can turn it off by pushing the off button, and it will stay off, even if I pull the button back on. Any idea where to start looking for a problem?

Old 02-07-08, 03:55 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
I would say a problem with the pressure switch. Either the line from the tank to the switch is clogged or the switch is broken.

Old 02-07-08, 05:36 PM
Just had the switch replaced under warranty because it leaked internally. Good thing I have a back up compressor, huh? Thanks.

Old 02-13-08, 04:14 AM
One more month of warranty, it is going back to be repaired. Pitot tubing is clear, so it must be the switch diaphragm.

Old 02-14-08, 06:33 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Larry, the switches on those compressors are bargin basement specials. If you value this machine, replace the plastic pressure switch with a heavy duty SquareD one in metal enclosure - they last.

Old 02-14-08, 03:14 PM
Once I figure out the tubing so it will hook into a Square D switch, I may just do that. There's one tube from the tank(s) and one from the gauge. I guess I can hook them up with a tee and then attach it to the pressure inlet of the switch. This will be the second switch in a year, so it is probably time.

Old 02-15-08, 05:13 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok, sounds strange )

From what you describe, you have the type that does not hook directly into the tank at the diaphragm NPT connection, but has a line running there from the tank. Probably done this way for ergonomics. Second line must be for the unloader, but why is it run from the gauge? Should go to the head or the check valve. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: