Circular saw ruined?

Old 04-19-08, 11:26 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Circular saw ruined?

Hello,

I have a typical 7 1/4" electric circular saw that seems to be cutting things on an angle permanently. I used it earlier today to try to cut through a 2x6, and by the end of the cut, the angle had shifted such that the cut was probably 5-10 degrees off vertical. The base plate is perpendicular to the blade -- it's at the end of the adjusting arc where it can't tilt any farther than vertical.

I've been told that this can happen if you're trying just to cut a very thin piece off the end of a board, but that wasn't the case this time.

I've had the saw for several years but have only used it sporadically. The original blade is still installed and does not seem to have worn down very much, but I'm not sure by any means how much is too much.

I'm not sure how to tell if this is something fixable or if the tool is ruined. Any experiences or advice will be appreciated.

Old 04-19-08, 11:47 AM
try a new blade I think you will be surprised

the original blades are usually low end anyway

Old 04-20-08, 11:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
And make sure the arbor (blade) is set at the proper angle (45 degrees) with the foot of the saw. Being dropped can cause problems with cutting straight. But, Mango probably has the problem in his sights. Use carbide tipped blades, and don't use a thin kerf blade for heavy work, as they will bind up on you.

Old 04-20-08, 11:52 AM
you know thinking about I had the same problem with my ryobi 18v cordless circular saw no matter how careful I was it would run off .

one day I was in home depot and saw a replacement carbide blade so why not Ill give it a try

night and day cuts are right on , turned it into a useful tool

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: