Hand tools: Stanley or Irwin?

Old 04-20-08, 09:12 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hand tools: Stanley or Irwin?

I have been looking around for a nice set of pliers (i.e. linesman, needle-nose, diagonal cutters, etc.) to fit my all around DIY needs. I have been looking into Klein and Greenlee, but the price is just too steep as I do not use these tools to make a living.

I narrowed it down to either Stanley or Irwin, but I cannot find any other information as to which one is overall better.

Here is a comparable product between Stanley and Irwin:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-89-865...750995&sr=1-16
http://www.amazon.com/Irwin-2078209-...8751035&sr=8-2

If there are other brands that you believe will be better for the price, then please let me know as well.

Thanks,
Anthony

Old 04-20-08, 11:09 PM
A
Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention that the Craftsman Pro. pliers are being considered as well.

Old 04-21-08, 04:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I would go with craftsman, soley because of the ease of exchange if it ever needs replacing under warranty.

Old 04-21-08, 08:01 AM
S
You should understand that Craftsman (Sears) products are not made by Sears and basically when you buy a Sears product you are buying some other company's product.Most people know this going in but it bears repeating.As for the return policy,most retailers either as policy or as a part of customer service will generally have the same return policy as Sears largely in part as a response to those policies at competitive retailers.

I'm in retail hardware with a company that has a number of Ace stores and the return policy is very liberal and is comparative to Sears etc.I've never heard of a return policy that wasn't though I'm sure some are not somewhere.

As for the two other examples in your post definately the Irwin version will be superior simply because any tool with the Vise Grip name attached will be a better tool that what looked to be a relatively low level Stanley tool.

That line of Stanley tools is what I'd consider mid range or lower and they have at least one line higher.Irwin's Vise Grip branded line is a nice line of tools.

Old 04-21-08, 09:44 AM
A
Thanks for the replies guys. I want to go with the Irwin, but I am having a hard time even finding a local store that stocks a big variety of them. So for just the ease of replacement, I might just go with the Craftsman Pro. series.

Old 04-21-08, 10:04 AM
M
How about Channellocks? They make great hand tools and most big stores carry them.

Old 04-21-08, 11:58 AM
hit a few flea markets or ebay and you should be able to find Klein for irwin /stanley price

I would rather a used top of the line item to a new mediocre one anytime

Old 04-21-08, 05:47 PM
T
I have used both Stanley and Irwin tools with no problems. Craftsman is good, as is Klein.

Did you know that Lowe's brand Kobalt now carries a lifetime guarantee on all hand tools too? They even replace tape measures and saws, too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: