air tank- what if its overfilled?

Old 05-03-08, 10:28 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
air tank- what if its overfilled?

Hi, at work we use an air compressor to fill a 10 gallon airtank- I dont think it has an overfill protection device on it- (just says to not overfill past 110 PSI- or personal / propery damage may occur).

I was wondering- what would happen if it was overfilled? Would it eventually blow up or would a small hole develop?

I checked the internet- couldnt find anything on it. Amazingly youtube didnt have anything on it ethere.
Old 05-04-08, 03:47 AM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,608
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If it is an approved air tank it will have an over pressure valve between the knob and the body of the tank. If it is not approved for air, then it won't develop a small hole, it will develop a large hole in the side of your garage. Did you buy it as an air tank, or is it just a tank you want to use as an air tank? Be careful.
Old 05-04-08, 04:40 AM
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 695
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mds33200 View Post
Amazingly youtube didnt have anything on it ethere.

Sure it does! Go here:

Notice the safety valve (looks like a brass key fob). They come in different factory-preset pressure ratings. Get one that pops at 115 psi and plumb it into your tank. Be safe.
Old 05-04-08, 06:59 AM
GregH's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 9,498
Received 67 Upvotes on 61 Posts
Geeze, talk about both right on and off topic!
Good link to see what a pressure relief looks like but now I want a train horn on my 4x4!

Just so you know the pressure relief used in that video is a standard type used on better compressor units and as a replacement part.
Manufactured portable air tanks often have a pressure relief that is part of the fitting where the hose attaches to the tank.
There is some times a knurled nut with a hole and visible spring inside.

Is this manufactured as a portable tank or a home made thing?

Image courtesy of

Last edited by GregH; 05-04-08 at 07:20 AM. Reason: sp
Old 05-04-08, 08:20 PM
Speedwrench's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,602
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
can you say big boom?
you must use a pop off valve.
if transported with out it it is a $25,000 fine. DOT.
Remember Murphy was an optimist.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: