Routers and Router Bits

Old 06-28-00, 11:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Maybe I haven't read the instruction manual as completely as I should, but I can't seem to figure out what the proper insertion depth of a router bit shank should be. Just the tip goes in? The entire shank goes in? Somewhere in between?

Also, what is the correlation between different sizes of router bits and the thickness of wood the router bit should be used for? Are the different sized router bits made for different thicknesses of wood?

Sorry if this seems like a "dummy" question, but I can't seem to figure it out for myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-00, 07:15 PM
Visiting Guest
The shank of the bit should go in most of the way into the collet. I usually leave about 1/4" showing. Some may leave +/-

The different sizes of bits? Not sure what you are asking here, but there are hundreds of shapes and sizes of router bits for thousands of applications. Many do double or triple duty.

What I've found mostly about routers is that most of us own a 1/4" collet router, and that some of the best carbide bits are for 3/8" collets.

Go buy yourself a good router basics book at Lowe's or Home Depot. It'll answer questions that your haven't even thought of yet.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net