Suddenly Dead Craftsman Compressor

Old 07-12-08, 07:27 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suddenly Dead Craftsman Compressor

I own a Craftsman air compressor (919.167240) that will not power on. I used it a couple days ago (and for years prior) w/o any signs of problems, yet this morning it won't start. I've bled the tank of air, but the motor did not kick on. I am in troubleshooting mode w/o benefit of the service manual. and need some guidance.

It's got voltage on both sides of the relay. I've read in these forums that there may exist a relay somewhere perhaps under the motor shroud? I'll take a screw-driver to the plastic and start searching. Any suggestions?

lothian.

Old 07-12-08, 08:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Lothian, welcome to the forums! The switch with the contactors IS your relay, so you say you have voltage on both sides. Do you have it wired for 240 volts? Unless you do, that's the only way both sets of contactors will be hot, unless the switch is "on". Are the contactors released, or away from each other when power is applied? Can you press on the contactors with an insulated screwdriver and make the compressor come on? When you turn it on, does the motor hum? The pitot tubes from the tank to the switch may be clogged up. Release the tube from the switch and see if it will start.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: