what kind of saw do I need

Old 07-12-08, 01:03 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question what kind of saw do I need

I am totally new at any of this do-it-yourself stuff. I want to buy some type of easy to use, light weight power saw that would just cut a board. I've used a hand saws in the past but they are just too slow and require more strength than I have. Thanks for any help you can offer! (BTW...I'd hope I could find one for under $50 if possible.)

Old 07-12-08, 01:29 PM
C
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
Welcome to the DIY forums

Kinda sounds like you're talking about a circular saw. They are light and easy to use, but as with any new equipment they'll take some getting used to. For instance, if you're cutting to an exact measurement you'll need to consider the width of the blade, and cut accordingly.

Some tips: use eye and ear protection, and be careful of that blade!

For light duty home owner use, a Ryobi saw will do you well, if you need a brand to look They're on sale sometimes at the Home Deep. You can also cruise through CraigsList.org for your town- our Craigs List shows 27 circular saws starting at $15 but you have to know your brands and consider condition of used equipment.

Good luck with it! What kind of project are you working on?

Old 07-12-08, 01:56 PM
F
Thanks for responding, CycleZen!

I am doing several things around here, but I want the saw to cut a portion out of the first shelf in a closet (above the clothes rod) in order to put a tall bookcase in there. (I turned an extra bedroom into an office and want hidden storage in the closet.)

There is a bracket holding the shelf about 2/3 the length of the board. I only need to remove that last 1/3 to get the bookcase in. So I was hoping to just cut out the part I want removed.

If needed, I could put another bracket under the part that I'm leaving. However, nothing heavy will be on that first 2/3 of the shelf.

If this is possible, I wouldn't have to take the whole board out---having to remove it from the bracket---, just vertically cut the part I want removed.

Like I said, I'm a total novice, but this seemed a reasonable way to solve my problem.

I just saw a "Black and Decker powered hand saw" on a site (now I can't remember where!)..very reasonably priced (I guess) for about $30.00. It looked like it would work. It was not rechargeable, though. However, I don't often have a lot of projects for a saw, but you never know!

I also saw a reciprocating saw....would that work?

I couldn't live without my drill, wet-vac, and power screwdriver! I am single and have to tend to most repairs and updates by myself so it helps to have the right tools!!! (I tried to put in a doggy door without the right tools (a hacksaw doesn't work so well)....awful....after frustration and giving up, I ended up having to get someone to come fix my mess!)

What do you think? Circular, reciprocating saw, or powered hand saw?

And am I on the right track with the procedure I've explained above?

Appreciation in advance!
Figgypie4

Old 07-12-08, 02:26 PM
S
To me what it sounds like you need for your project as well as an all around saw for similar uses is a jig saw.

This "powered hand saw" is I suppose one of the newer designed small electric saws.I'm only somewhat familiar with these and there are various versions around (often put on the market just in time for christmas) so it would depend on mostly how much power they actually have.

That said a consumer grade jig saw would do what you're talking about for the same 30 or so dollars as the powered saw.Many types of blades available,will also cut metal,etc.Black & Decker,Skil,Craftsman all have homeowner level saws that would be fine.

Old 07-12-08, 02:57 PM
F
Thanks for the insight! I'll check it out! I guess I just need to make a trip to Lowes or Sears and see these for myself! At least now I know what to look for. Have a great weekend! I think I'll save this project for next weekend! Can you say "procrastination"? :*)

Old 07-12-08, 07:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Also, if you don't use them that much, stay away from battery powered saws, as the batteries start to die the day they are born, and may not give you the life expectancy you think you should have. A good electric saw would do just fine, and will always be there when you need it, rather than sporting a dead battery.

Old 07-12-08, 10:42 PM
F
Good, valid point! Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: