Campbell Hausfeld air compressor.

Old 07-19-08, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an oldskool Campbell hausfeld U.S air series #hl700201 compressor that I got for free from work. Its a 2hp 20 gallon 115v 15amp [email protected] and 7.9 [email protected] Stamped on it says Made in U.S.A. and the head has hl-0008. Its a oil type NOT oiless.

The problem:

It works... but sounds noisey'er than normal/before and only stays on for 5-6 seconds, then the breaker in my houses fuse box jumps and I have to reset it. Keeps doing this.... Whats wrong? My boss said it lasted 15 years till now.

Anyone have experiances with compressors? Then should all be the same right? Like a engine......? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-08, 11:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
They aren't all the same, but most do the same thing in similar fashions. I would take the belt off and run it to see if the noise is the motor or pump. Is the pump full of oil?

Old 07-20-08, 06:49 AM
The pump has plenty of oil. Its a direct drive no belts. It was running fine for 15 years then quit.... now it will start but only for a few seconds then trips the breaker. How can I test the start switch, start capacitor, and run capacitor? Thanks.

I only have a volt meter..... But I can buy a amp meter if needed and bring it back after im done.

Old 07-20-08, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 21 Votes on 18 Posts
You'll probably get better info asking this on the electrical forum here. Small engines and lawnmowers I know well, but electricity isn't my specialty.

You can test a capacitor with an ohmmeter. Put one lead on one side of the cap, and the other on the other side, and watch the resistance. If it is 0, it's bad. If it's open, it's bad. If the resistance starts at one figure and rapidly increases to the point of open or a very high reading, then it is probably good, but not necessarily. To get more accurate test results, you need specialized equipment.

Old 07-20-08, 11:22 PM
Five seconds should be long enough for it to come up to full speed. Does it?

You might disconnect the air line from the compressor outlet. If it keeps running with the line disconnected, there's an obstruction in the system instead of an electrical problem.

Old 07-21-08, 03:47 PM
It runs like it should for those 5 seconds. Today I took both capacitors to Grainger and had them test it, there both good. The guy there suggested a motor rewinding place.. so tomarrow im ging to bring the motor in for a free check/estimate.

Old 07-24-08, 08:29 AM
If the compressor worked at your job but doesn't now, then the problem is probably in your home breaker box. Do you have a 20 amp breaker installed in the circuit that the compressor runs into? If you compressor runs 15amp and your breaker is 15 amp, then any thing else in the circuit, including a light bulb, will trip your breaker.

Old 07-25-08, 07:18 PM
thats the reason they gave it to me.... cause it started doing this.

Old 02-03-09, 07:35 PM

I have the same compressor and have experienced similar problems. This is a pretty heavy duty compressor and must be connected to a 20 amp circuit preferrably without an extension cord. When the compressor starts up you should hear a loud "CLICK" from the motor within a second after it starts which means the motor has properly cut out the start winding. If for some reason the start winding does not cut out it will trip the breaker as the start winding does draw considerable current. On mine I found I had to replace both motor capacitors. There have been instances where I had to bleed all the air out of the tank for it to start up properly.

Old 07-04-09, 06:16 PM
cambell hausfeld HL 700201

I have the same compressor and found the problem to be the bleed off valve was not working, this causes the compressor to try and start with 125psi in the head ( in the line before the compressed air enters the storage tank) this will not allow the compessor to start, too much load and the fuse will blow also if you hear air leaking back thru the unloader the check valve is bad (in the same fitting that goes into the tank) and the valve will have to be replaced.

Old 04-19-14, 12:41 PM
Campbell hausfeld !!!

Hey everyone. I also have a Campbell hausfeld model hl700201 and need a tremendous favor from someone. PLEASE help. I got it from a bud . he dropped it and smashed the black, bakelite capacitor and I assume it is the start cap as it only buzzes when plugged in. He threw away the pieces and I have no way of getting the voltage or microfared rating for a new cap which I am SURE will fix it. Could someone with the same model PLEASE go out to the shop and open up their case and shoot me the numbers off theres? it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, James