Reassembling Makita tablesaw "Safety Guide"

Old 09-03-08, 01:13 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reassembling Makita tablesaw "Safety Guide"

OK, like a dang fool I took my Makita 2703 table saw "Safety Guide" apart. The safety guide is the combination plastic blade cover & anti-kickback dogs, part #7 on this page:
http://www.makita.com/assets_product...ns/PB_2703.pdf

Now I need to reassemble. It's proving to be a real #$%&.

I think I have the order of the parts right at this point:
bolt + lock washer + flat washer + plastic shield + grommet + dog + bearing sleeve & spring + divider + bearing sleeve & spring + dog + grommet + plastic shield + flat washer + lock washer + bolt
(the divider is the halfway point of symmetry).

I think that I need to force the plastic shield's sides apart with a clamp, to allow me to press everything from one grommet to the other inside. Since there's no bolt holding this stack of 9 pieces together, it's been a nightmare trying to get it all in place so far. That makes no sense: someone has to assemble this in the factory, and it needs to be easy for them in production.

Any suggestions? And, if anyone has one of these, could you double check the order of parts above? The dang manual doesn't show a decent picture of this assembly.

Old 09-03-08, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure if this will help but they show and tell how to install the unit at http://www.makita.com/assets_product...nuals/2703.pdf

Old 09-03-08, 08:46 PM
J
Thanks, but I have that manual. No help there; it treats the assembly as a single part (and doesn't show a decent drawing of it, either).

Old 09-03-08, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 790 Votes on 727 Posts
Edit:

Nevermind. The schematic I was looking at is pretty much the same as the one you already have.

Old 09-04-08, 03:11 PM
I am never one to shun safety, and understand the importance of having the guard from the factory. My question why are you straining your brain on this? Do you need the guard for resale purposes? On the home shows, they always disclaimer "saw guard removed for clarity purposes". Hog doody.

Old 09-04-08, 10:46 PM
J
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
I am never one to shun safety, and understand the importance of having the guard from the factory. My question why are you straining your brain on this?
Um, if you understand the importance of having the guard, why are you asking why I'd want the guard assembled?

Never mind; I don't think this discussion is going to answer my original question.

Old 09-05-08, 05:43 AM
I prefaced my comment, so that is enough. It is difficult to make complete cuts using a push block with the guard in place. It hides the blade so you can't keep an eye on your cut, and the anti kick pawls sometimes bind causing you to have to shut down the saw until a correction is made. Never bypass the safety of the saw. I was just giving my opinion from years of experience without an accident, and don't plan on one. I am too scared of it. As my right hand is pushing the work through the blade area with a tall push block with forward pressure, my left hand automatically goes to my waist band. You have to adapt, improvise and overcome. I wish I had an answer to your question. Maybe someone with a Makita can help.

Old 09-05-08, 10:00 AM
O
When you can't get a push block through, use a scrap piece of wood to push it. Just butt it up to the stock, and push it through the blade.

Take the guard to a store or repair facility and compare it to one on the floor.

Old 09-06-08, 09:17 AM
J
Yup, I've been looking for one in every hardware/dept store I go into. No luck yet.

Thanks.

Old 09-30-08, 02:00 AM
J
Talking Whoohoo!

And... today I received my reassembled guard in the mail. Scratched, flaked - just like I remember it - but reassembled.

Makita's "Jerry A." is my new best friend in the Tech Support Hall of Fame. Since he didn't charge me diddly-squat, I'm going to repay him (& Makita) with a public cheer.

Yay for Makita's AWESOME tech support! Thanks, Jerry!

(Nope, I'm not affiliated in any way. I own Bosch, Craftsman and B&D tools, in addition to Makita. Tools that work make me happy. And people that help others out - really happy!)

Last edited by joemarfice; 09-30-08 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Good to hear there are still folks who care about their customers out there.

I'll lift one for Jerry later!

Old 10-13-08, 02:14 PM
S
Question

Hi,
i wanted to buy the makita Safety Guide but i do not know what is the url in the makita website i can search for this part which has the number [168309-7], or is there another site to by this item online?

can any one help.

Old 10-16-08, 09:20 AM
J
A quick google search of
makita "168309-7"
turned up several sellers of that part.

HTH.

Old 12-08-11, 09:17 AM
S
I reassembled the safety assembly for the 2703 last night.

I google'd and found this thread, but didn't want to ship it off somewhere. Text me at xxxxxxxxxx if you are in the same spot and I'll try to guide you through it

Last edited by Gunguy45; 12-08-11 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Contact info not allowed. Also, problem was already solved 3 yrs ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: