Puddles of oil in my air compressor tank

Old 09-14-08, 07:20 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Puddles of oil in my air compressor tank

I was putting a new fitting into an air compressor a co-worker game me and decided to stick a magnetic probe inside of the tank to see how much rust had accumulated (tank is 25 years old or so). When I pulled the probe out, I had some rust chips and a glob of oil. I spent over an hour running my probe along the bottom of the tank picking up globs of oil and flaked rust. I think the tank is still in decent shape, but the oil that is in there worries me. I performed a similar procedure on a very similar air compressor a while back and only removed rust chips. What could be causing the tank to have that much oil in it?

Old 09-14-08, 10:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I've only seen this a couple of times but I figured it was from lack of draining the tank and maybe from not changing the oil. The ones I had seen this on, had never had the tank drained before [according to the owner] and I assume the oil hadn't ever been changed either.

Old 09-14-08, 12:04 PM
oil could only come from the compressor rings so keep a close eye on the oil level in your compressor if it starts to use too much it will be time for a overhaul

Murphy was an optimist

Old 09-15-08, 05:12 PM
H
Originally Posted by Speedwrench View Post
oil could only come from the compressor rings so keep a close eye on the oil level in your compressor if it starts to use too much it will be time for a overhaul

Murphy was an optimist
If that's the case, should I just look into getting it serviced? I really don't want to have to clean oil out of it again.

The guy that gave it to me said that he drained it after each use. There is one existing known problem where the motor doesn't kick off automatically after pressure has been reached, and the guy said one time he accidentally left it running long enough that it burned the belt off.

Having said that, does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning the oil out, or know where I should start looking in the yellow pages for compressor repair?

Old 09-16-08, 06:27 PM
M
hi

I don't know what you have there, but unless you are getting the oily goo in your lines, don't worry about it too much. As long as you can drain water from the tank, you are fine. Some blow-by will happen even with perfectly seated rings. I would concentrate first on getting the machine to stop pumpimg when it's supposed to.

Old 09-16-08, 07:20 PM
you will need to change out the pressure cut off switch to fix the running problem, also you should have a pressure relief valve to blow off excess pressure that would have saved the belt. graingers used to sell both of those but i haven't checked in several years.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 11-14-08, 10:23 PM
H
Ok, I finally got this thing up and running after replacing the pressure switch and adding a safety valve.

However, when I fired it up, I noticed air escaping where the large copper pipe (not sure what the name is) connects to the pump. I looked closer and realized it wasn't just air escaping, but also a very fine mist of oil. I was able to stop both the air and oil from escaping by tightening the compression nut, but should oil have been coming out there? I wonder if that is why there was a buildup of oil in the tank to begin with.

Old 11-15-08, 05:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
it sounds like maybe the rings are shot - similiar to a car burning oil. With the exception of painting, I don't think it will cause any immediate problems although it might pay to keep an eye on the oil level.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: