Paint sprayer and air compressor - product advice

Old 09-20-08, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint sprayer and air compressor - product advice

I am going to buy an air compressor and some tools to do moderate load work around the house (wallboard, trim boards, etc). For my woodworking needs I am looking at this economical package deal:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...551-354-CPACK3
The difficult part is that I would also like to use this with a latex paint sprayer, to paint a couple walls and those trim boards. However, the basic sprayers I've seen recommend a CFM double what that Bostitch pancake puts out, which concerns me. Now I don't have any other need for a high-volume compressor, if years from now I need one to put on a new roof or something, I'll rent it. I don't want to rent for the painting work though.

One last thing: Since I need to paint both walls and trim boards, I need a sprayer (or two) to handle both an 8" or so spread, and a 2" spread. I could see finding a smaller sprayer to do the trim boards, and doing the wall with either ye olde roller brushes, or one of those standalone paint sprayers.

I don't mind if I can't do continuous spraying with the smaller compressor, as long as it isn't mindbogglingly slow. Trying to get a reasonably effective set of tools for as little cash as possible. Recommendations, please.

Old 09-20-08, 04:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
I would say that you should forget about spraying with the compressor in that kit.
The duty cycle on those units is quite low and if you tried to paint you would likely overheat and damage the compressor.

That price seems pretty good for a Bostich kit with three nailers and would be hard to pass up.
Maybe you should consider using a Wagner airless sprayer for latex as latex is more difficult to spray in an air spray gun than oil based paints.

Old 09-20-08, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
In addition, to do a "sometimes" latex paint job, I would rent a HVLP sprayer, set it in a 5 gallon bucket of paint and spray all you need. Spray painting with a compressor is fine for larger compressors as Greg says, but your pancake won't handle it. I've used the Wagner's too, but with marginal results with stains. Latex, ok.

Old 09-21-08, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ah, I see. I hadn't even considered the duty cycle, that would be a problem. I'll have to see what I can rent then, and just arrange to do multiple coats in one day. Perhaps I'll just buy a small standalone sprayer for the trim, those aren't very pricy. I'm going latex with all of it, sounds like airless is easier to work with anyways. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: