Have to Replace My Floor Jack

Old 10-09-08, 11:28 AM
P
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have to Replace My Floor Jack

My 2-ton Sears floor jack will no longer hold a load and a replacement power unit is no longer available. I bought it in 1986 for $100 so I guess I got my money's worth.

I use the jack to lift a 1993 Buick and a 1998 Toyota Tacoma.

Like most of us, I have to cut back on expenses, so what would be a decent replacement floor jack of similar capability? I'm not going to need anything heavier, and if I have another 10 years of DIY automotive repairs I'll be doing good...

Old 10-09-08, 12:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have a look here:

http://www.hyjacks.com/

They recommend Norco, it's a good, solid jack.

I have an OTC blue "stinger" now. Pricey, but steady as a rock.

Sears jacks have been steadily going down in quality for the last decade

Old 10-09-08, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just don't get one of the $60 jacks...My 6mo old one is getting donated soon. Even though it was rated the same as my 20 y/o Craftsman, and was about the same size...it'll barely lift one corner of either of my cars. The jackstands aren't bad though, think those will stay.

Think it's time for a larger size with the long handle and steering bars, I have the room now.

Old 10-09-08, 12:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
I bought a harbor freight 2.25 ton jack over 20 yrs ago {paid about $50] and it still works great! Their prices have only went up a little but I don't know if the quality is still the same.

Old 10-09-08, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why not get the seals and just rebuild it? I did that to my $30 Autozone jack and it still works perfectly.

Old 10-09-08, 05:22 PM
I bought a 2 ton GM Goodwrench jack at Wal-Mart for $16.99. It may not be the best, but as often as I use it, it'll do.

Old 10-10-08, 10:25 AM
P
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Why not get the seals and just rebuild it? I did that to my $30 Autozone jack and it still works perfectly.
I thought about that. Took a good look at the jack, couldn't see right away how to isolate the power unit. The lift arm and linkage appears to be pinned/shafted to the jack frame and I'm not sure how to remove those pins. Couldn't see any mounting hardware for the power unit when I turned the jack upside down but now I know where all the black widow spiders are coming from

While contemplating the situation, I found the problem is in the control valve. If I twist the handle as hard as I can, the jack will stay up. But then I have to get a pipe wrench to untwist the handle.

So I think I'll wait until that trick doesn't work, then dismantle the thing and see if I can't get a new release valve seal.

Old 10-10-08, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Not to hijack...but where would you go to get a floor jack a basic rebuild? The Craftsman jack I mentioned in my earlier post no longer has any parts available though Sears, but I'd like to at least check into getting the leaky seals replaced.

It's a heck of a lot heavier duty and better made than anything I've seen in any stores here.

Any ideas?

Old 10-11-08, 09:24 AM
M
gunguy

Break it down and take the packings and cylinder parts to good hydraulic shop. They should be able to help you. Unless it's all metric, then it may have to be special ordered.

Old 10-11-08, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Thx...we may have one of those...plenty of mining and drilling operations here, prob a hydraulic shop somewhere.

Old 10-11-08, 01:52 PM
P
What model jack do you have? We may be able to help each other here, should one of us manage to repair his jack. Mine's a 2-ton blue one bought in 1986 from Sears.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: