I need a "grabber"

Old 11-10-08, 06:55 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I need a "grabber"

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a long grabber-type tool (I don't know how else to describe it)...there is a small section of gutter that I cannot reach by ladder, but I could reach it by leaning out the dormer window if I had about a 6 ft pole with some type of claw on the end. Longest I can find is 4' (some company called pik-stik).

Old 11-11-08, 04:14 AM
I
First it might be better if you describe what your trying to do. Retrieving a ball,toy,item thrown on the roof or are you trying to clean the gutters of leaves and such. When the task is known its much easier to come up with a solution. If you are trying to clean leaves and debris out of the gutters I would try making some kind of hooked pvc add on for your garden hose with a small nozzel end squirting down. If your trying to retrieve something,object you might be able to attach a brush to the same pvc and brush out. I use pvc for a lot for so many projects as it is so cheap and pretty strong when using sch 40 or higher.

Old 11-11-08, 04:50 AM
W
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Grabber

Why not make one the length you need? Use fine wire. Heavy rubber bands make a good substitute for springs. A few small screws, some scraps of wood and a little imagination.

Old 11-11-08, 06:24 AM
T
Sorry - I'm trying to clean out some leaves.

Old 11-11-08, 12:10 PM
W
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Leaves

Make a blower pipe from some pvc pipe and attach to the blower attachment of a vacuum.

Old 11-11-08, 12:26 PM
T
Old 11-13-08, 08:52 AM
T
Gutter tong looks interesting, but I need something I can use from above.

Blower tube with vacuum and PVC is a good idea.

Old 11-13-08, 01:07 PM
C
Received 136 Votes on 109 Posts
What you need is a bilge picker. Something any ex snipe can make in 20 minutes.

Make it out of two small diameter pieces of plastic pipe. One sized to fit in the other. Cut the pipes to the length you need. Maker sure to cut the inside pipe longer than the outer one.

Fabricate some jaws out of whatever is handy, thick hard plastic or sheetmetal. Sheetmetal is best because you can bend them to suit the task. Plastic can be heated to get a bend.

Duct tape 3 pieces of shaped jaws onto the end of the inner pipe. Make sure where they are joined is narrower than the ID of the outer pipe. Bend them so that they are "open". When you draw them up into the outer pipe they will close, grabbing whatever you are trying to pick up.

Sorry if the explanation is a little vague, but if you think about it you'll get the concept and figure out how to make it.

Old 11-13-08, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
cwbuff I didn't remember you were a squid! Excellent!..pretty soon we'll drive the Jarheads out! LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: