chain saw sharpeners--which one?

Old 11-27-08, 07:04 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
chain saw sharpeners--which one?

I need a chain saw sharpener. Should I get the 12 volt model with 3 sizes of sharpening stones, or a bench top model? Which one will do the best job? I'm not that worried about doing it in the field; I can do touchups by hand. Thanks--Pat

Old 11-28-08, 05:59 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Sharpening Saw Chain

I have used an electric sharpener which does a good job, but they are somewhat cumbersome and the grinder wheels need to be replaced often. Do not get the 12 volt model unless you want to use it in the field.
I find it just as easy to sharpen with a file. Holding the bar steady is the key. I secure the bar in my bench vise to do this being careful to not tighten the vise jaws onto the chain, just the bar. This way, I do not have to remove the chain from the saw to sharpen it. Hold the file with both hands, one hand on the handle and the other on the outer tip of the file. This will enable a more even stroke. File only in one direction, away from the sharpened edge of the tooth. Use a twisting motion as you file. Hope this helps.

Old 11-28-08, 07:09 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
Like Wirepuller I file mine by hand. I have an Oregon sharpener that clamps onto the bar, but I haven't used it in years. I just use a hand file.

Old 12-01-08, 12:05 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chain Saw Sharpener - Garrett Wade 45T01.02

Personally, I like the Garrett Wade 45T01.02 electric chainsaw sharpener. It's less than a hundred bucks, and has an automatic chain feed. This type of chain sharpener will give you more consistent sharpening from tooth to tooth.

There's some good information about using a chain saw sharpener and different types of chain saw sharpeners at the "LinkToHomePageRemoved".

Last edited by stickshift; 12-01-08 at 02:55 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: