got an air compressor, need info

Old 12-08-08, 04:36 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
got an air compressor, need info

I have a Sanborn Black Max Air compressor.
3 HP 22 gallon. 8.6 SCFM @ 40 PSI. 120V.
This compressor is belt driven.

I do not know much about air compressors.
The questions I would like to ask are:

How do I maintain this air compressor? How do I know if it is oil/oil less?

What are these single/double/triple phase air compressors?

I would like to also know more about this compressor? Can anyone let me know if this is good as in strength, reliability, and performance?

Will this compressor be enough power for my uses? note: i will be using this mainly for impacts, cut off tools, and painting.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-08-08, 06:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I don't think I've ever used a Sanborn compressor but they have a good reputation. It has an oil filled pump. I'm not sure how often you need to change the oil, I change mine every couple of years but I know of some that are 10+ yrs old and have never had the oil changed.

Your compressor should be good for your needs except maybe painting. Depending on the cfm of your paint gun and the size of whatever you are painting, the compressor may not be able to keep up. You can still use it, you just have to be cognizant of the pressure and stop to let the pump catch up. Before I got a 6hp 60gal air compressor I occasionally painted cars with a 1hp 11 gal sears compressor - while I made it work, I did have to pay attention

Old 12-08-08, 07:58 PM
T
What kind of compressor oil would be good to place into my compressor? Is there a special type of oil to put in the air compressor I have? Do they make synthetic oil? What is recommended?

I am also having trouble finding my air filter which I would like to replace. There is something in the side of the compressor that seems like it is a filter, but I am not 100% positive. It looks like some sort of cotton fiber screen. Anyway where would I be able to locate an air filter to replace for my air compressor?

The painting I will be doing is on a car. But I will be painting by individual pieces.

Old 12-08-08, 11:58 PM
J
Sanborn Air Compressor Parts

This may help..................

Old 12-09-08, 06:15 AM
Cool

If it has a dipstick, outside of the comp., it is an oil type. I used auto. synthetic Mobile 1 in mine and it lasted 20 years!

Keep the water drained out of the tank. Just about every time you use it for any length of time.

If it is a two cyl., there are two air filters. One for each cy.. They have a wing nut holding on a sheetmetal cover and use a round cylinder type filter. Change as needed.

That air comp. will paint fine, and run an impact as long as it is not continuous. I kept mine set at 90PSI. (mine was a 5HP 60 GAL. 50% USAGE rated Black Max) If it is rated, and I am sure it is, use it accordingly. It probably won't run a grinder, sander, cut off tool, etc., as they use a lot of air. They will work, but you will have to stop and wait for it to catch up and the remember the usage rating. Get an HVLP spray gun. Only need about 10-20PSI.

Old 12-09-08, 04:14 PM
T
What kind of Mobil 1 did you use? What viscosity? I found the dipstick on mine. Its a screw on plug looking type that is around an inch in height.

I found the filter now. I took it off and its rectangular shaped. It seems dirty, but looks like I can just place something else there. It looks like undermolding for a car carpet.

Old 12-09-08, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
If you were to buy oil labeled for air compressors it would be non-detergent motor oil.
20 weight would be fine.

You should be able to get it at a larger auto parts store and for likely half the cost of compressor oil.

Old 12-11-08, 02:13 AM
T
I just replaced my compressor oil and tightened all piping that were loose. I replaced the drain **** with a ball valve. Now its running good.

When the compressor was filled, it shut off and I heard a leak. I noticed it was coming from the safety relief valve. I pulled this valve and it kept letting air out until I had to manually push it. By then the psi went from 120 to 100. My compressor cuts off at 120 psi. I have been searching for new safety relief valve but cannot find a 120psi safety relief valve. I only see 125psi safety relief valves. Do I use this? My compressor is a 120psi max.

Old 12-11-08, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
You might want to try to adjust the cut out pressure to 105 psi with an 85 psi cut in.

5 psi under the relief pressure is a bit too close.

Old 12-11-08, 06:46 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by truetrueno86 View Post
I just replaced my compressor oil and tightened all piping that were loose. I replaced the drain **** with a ball valve. Now its running good.

When the compressor was filled, it shut off and I heard a leak. I noticed it was coming from the safety relief valve. I pulled this valve and it kept letting air out until I had to manually push it. By then the psi went from 120 to 100. My compressor cuts off at 120 psi. I have been searching for new safety relief valve but cannot find a 120psi safety relief valve. I only see 125psi safety relief valves. Do I use this? My compressor is a 120psi max.
You may be able to take the valve out and clean it. Check the seat and may be able to
clean the seats up so they will work. When you start it back up, listen to the relief valve and see where it starts to leak. Usually the relief valve is lower that the MAXIMUM amout of air pressure that the compressor is rated for.

Old 12-12-08, 05:00 PM
T
i tried cleaning it yet no luck. When I pull the relief valve, the valve exerts air out until it reaches around 60 psi in the tank then it closes properly.

Anyway I would like to replace this unit. What part do I purchase when replacing this relief valve if I have a 120 psi max air compressor? Should I use a 125 psi safety relief valve?

Old 12-13-08, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
You never want to install a pressure relief valve rated at a higher pressure than the tank!!!!!
The prv is there to prevent the tank from exploding! If the pressure in the tank excedes the prv setting the prv will pop off releasing the excess pressure.

Old 01-24-09, 10:18 AM
E
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
You never want to install a pressure relief valve rated at a higher pressure than the tank!!!!!
The prv is there to prevent the tank from exploding! If the pressure in the tank excedes the prv setting the prv will pop off releasing the excess pressure.
i have the same compressor and i have aproblem and i need a solved
the out air is mixed with oil
note: the compressor is scrow

Old 01-24-09, 10:22 AM
E
Smile

i have the same compressor and i have aproblem and i need a solved
the out air is mixed with oil
note:
i changed the filter but it dosnt make any thing
the compressor is scrow
please i need answer

Last edited by en.samir; 01-24-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 07:30 PM
L
Blackmax 8.6 scfm 22 gal.-3 hp sanborn air compressor

What size are the start and run capacitors for this compressor,

thanks laura

Old 03-03-09, 07:15 AM
M
Laura

If you can pull them out, the MFD and voltage numbers are usually printed on the side.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: