Can a bad battery fry a charger?

Old 12-08-08, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can a bad battery fry a charger?

Dad's Black & Decker charger wouldn't light up yesterday so I brought it and his batteries home to look over. Stuck one of his batteries in my charger and it charged up fine. Put the second battery in and my charger now won't light up.

Is it possible that the second battery is faulty and it shorted out both charger stands?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-08, 12:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There should be some type of safety device on the charger to protect it against defective batteries. Check the charger for a reset switch.

Old 12-13-08, 05:32 PM
Have you tried to recharge a different battery in either charger after the battery in question failed to charge or activate the charger?

It may simply be that battery #2 is a NiCad that has gone bad.You need to try a battery that is drained but not thought to be bad to really figure this out.

Old 12-13-08, 07:49 PM
Neither charger seems to charge any battery... Tested all four batteries with multimeter and one of them reads about 1.7 volts so assuming that it's got some bad cells. The other batteries were reading 11.x volts

Even with a battery that is "fully charged" the light on the charger doesn't light up.