Husky Impact Wrench Question

Old 12-14-08, 09:33 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Husky Impact Wrench Question

Hello, I am new the to the forum.

I have a question about my really cheap husky impact wrench. This impact wrench came free with my husky compressor. Neither the compressor or impact wrench are very good. I have realized why the impact wrench was free. It is single speed, and seems to have very little power. I has a hard time breaking most lug nuts loose.

I have my compressor cranked up to max out at 150 PSI.

My question is: if an impact wrench has 150 PSI to start off with shouldn't it be able to break most car lug nuts loose? My compressor tank is 26 gallons, so I should have a good 20-30 seconds that the pressure is over 130 PSI.

Would I get better torque (correct term?) if I had a better impact wrench? In other words... with my current compressor with a better impact wrench could I break lug nuts loose when my compressor is at peak pressure?

If a better impact wrench will work better, what is a good inexpensive impact wrench? I have heard that Les Schwab Tire Shops (Pacific Northwest and west coast tire shop chain) use cheap Harbor Freight Chicago brand impact wrenches and they work good. Any opinions?

Thanks

Old 12-14-08, 12:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken an impact's torque is more important than the air pressure. I have a cheap harbor frieght impact that I bought 25+ yrs ago. It only has a 200 lb torque rating and it works well but occasionally I'll have to get the breaker bar to loosen a stubborn nut/bolt. It's worked equally well on both my 11gal 1hp and my 60gal 6hp both operating between 100-125 psi.

Both the cfm usage and torque should be listed with the specs of any impact.

Old 12-15-08, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Also note another thing, it doesn't matter what your "tank" pressure is, as much as it does the "output" pressure. Dead end the hose and adjust the outlet pressure to a higher value, then try the wrench.

Old 12-15-08, 07:21 PM
if you are using a pressure regulator that should be set at its maximum output pressure for using a impact, flow will affect a impact almost as much as pressure, infact more over 90 psi, if you do need a new impact the best less expensive impacts will be ingersol rand brand, sears used to sell them. I am using a 25 year old snap-on impact that was rated new at 500 ft lbs of torque at 90 psi imput, uses about 3-4 cfm. still works great.

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Old 12-16-08, 12:09 PM
M
I had the same experience with a cheap impact wrench with vastly overstated torque ratings. I hinted around long enough for the wife to get me an Ingersoll-Rand 600 Ft-Lb wrench and life improved greatly. Now the problem is what this thing won't loosen, it breaks, requiring upgrades to cheap impact sockets, cheap adaptors, etc. Buy decent quality to start with.

Old 12-16-08, 05:59 PM
B
Originally Posted by Speedwrench
if you are using a pressure regulator that should be set at its maximum output pressure for using a impact, flow will affect a impact almost as much as pressure, infact more over 90 psi, if you do need a new impact the best less expensive impacts will be ingersol rand brand, sears used to sell them. I am using a 25 year old snap-on impact that was rated new at 500 ft lbs of torque at 90 psi imput, uses about 3-4 cfm. still works great.

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Just so I understand, are you saying that giving more pressure to the impact wrench than it is rated for will ALSO cause it not to work properly? Mine is rated for 250 ft pounds at 90PSI.

Old 12-19-08, 08:01 PM
no i am not saying more pressure will cause it to not work properly, all impacts are rated at 90psi, what i was trying to say is that cfm will affect the working more than psi will as long as you have the 90 psi imput to the impact. under 90 psi you will lose power about as much as low cfm will cause you to loose power.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 12-30-08, 08:31 AM
Air line diameter

As Speedwrench already said, 90 psi is the working pressure. The air line diameter and length also has an effect on the impact. Your compressor has to have the cfm to keep up. My 1" gun needs a 1" dia. line, and LOTS of cfm.

Old 12-30-08, 09:21 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Torque

250 foot pounds seems low for an impact wrench. A torque wrench with twice that torque value would be more likely to suit your needs.

Old 01-04-09, 02:47 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
An impact will never deliver its rated torque if the air supply is choked. Many budget compressors come with a small regulator that isn't capable of passing the CFM needs of certain tools--regardless of the rated output of the compressor itself. A 26 Gal. compressor will hopefully have a good-sized regulator installed.
The ID & length of the hose will also limit your torque. Think in terms of electric power. First you need a good source of power then you need to deliver it with adequate sized wires.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: