air compressor

Old 12-17-08, 11:43 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
air compressor

Im in the market for a air compressor. Im going to go with electric sense it will be used in the garage. now am i right it thinking that a oil less compressor won't last very long. now are the air hoses universal or does the manual tell me what size i need. its just the fittings on the hose that got to be the right size correct.

Old 12-18-08, 03:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
While there are some differences in air hose size, for the most part they are universal. As long as the quick connect fittings are the same, you can pretty much use them with any compressor.

Old 12-18-08, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
And as far as the difference in oilless or oil lubed, the latter is quieter. We make subs that bring oilless compressors on site to leave them in the yard and run hoses in. Way too noisy. They will, however, last a long time, and I wouldn't let that worry me, as I am sure you won't be firing it up every day. Hoses? I just bought a 100' blue braid hose from the orange big box, and really like it. It doesn't kink up, and isn't affected by cold weather (big deal when you go to pack up in the evening).

Old 12-18-08, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What are you trying to run with the compressor (impact, grease gun, nail gun, sander, paint gun...)? What you are using the compressor for is important in deciding which one to get. If its just little stuff, Pancake compressor should work most of which will last provided you drain water out of the tank on a consistent basis. you should be able to pick one up fairly inexpensively, maybe like $150. If you need more CFMs one that a buddy of mine got that he seems to be happy with is a twin stack Ingersoll-Rand (IR), duel tanks and more powerful compressor. I think he paid like $200 for his but I am not sure. Most pancakes are oilless which works well for smaller compressors but if you need to go bigger go with the oil lubed, which I believe the IR is. It will be quieter like chandler said and it will be more efficient and longer lasting as well.

As for the hoses, most are made of PVC, rubber or a combination of the two. Some are reinforced using nylon or other materials which increase the hoses durability and decrease it's likelihood of kinking. As far as the differences between PVC and rubber, PVC is cheaper but rubber can withstand more pressure and is more flexible especially in cold weather. For most people's purposes 3/8" hose will suffice and as for the quick connect, go with brass and only brass. It may cost a few extra pennies but I wouldn't use anything else.

I hope the info I gave you was helpful, if it was and you want to thank me, the best way to do so is to buy products made here in the USA. :USAF:

Old 12-18-08, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Here is some air compressor info.

Old 12-20-08, 10:19 AM
F
I'll be using it mostly to inflate lawn/garden and car tires +blow out carbs etc. i don't own any air tools but might get a air wrench or something.I was going to go with Oiled Cause i read on here that oiless ones don't last very long before seizing up.

Old 12-20-08, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator
If you read the link I posted there is an explanation that there are two types of oiled compressor.

Direct drive and belt drive.

The direct drive oil type compressors are not a type that is meant to last very long.
The pumps on belt drive units turn more slowly and generally last much longer.

Old 12-20-08, 07:28 PM
F
i wouldn't use it very much so the oiled direct drive should last a while. I picked one up on sale 3 gallon 125PSI max 2.4 scfm at 90PSI. hopefully buy the time it quits i can get a better one. the trick is to make sure it runs on household current. don't want to pick one up only to find it needs 240V

Old 12-21-08, 03:16 PM
F
would up-sizing the hose give more scfm. currently the machine came with 1/4 25 feet of house. im going to upgrade to rubber 3/8" 50 feet with 1/4 fittings. would this give me more SCFM.i didn't want to spend 100's of dollars on a machine thats not going to be used everyday.

Old 12-21-08, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Increasing the size of the hose would help but by having one twice as long will cancel out some of the advantage.

On a small portable compressor you should be able to move it to get closer to whatever you are working on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: