Is it safe to run my air compressor

Old 02-07-09, 04:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to run my air compressor

Hey All,

I bought an Ingersoll Rand SS3L3 - 60 Gallon Vertical Single Stage Electric Air Compressor about 9 months ago. Shortly after it was delivered to the house I was living in, I had to move into an apartment and never even had a chance to start it for the first time. I was not aware that it came with oil in it from the factory and transported it to my current apartment on its side and oil leaked out of the back of it.

It has been sitting in my storage closet ever since and I am getting ready to move into a new house with a garage and will be hooking it up for the first time.

If I make sure that it is full of oil, do I have anything to worry about when starting it for the first time? Could oil have found its way into any part of the motor which could cause me any problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-09, 04:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 317 Votes on 281 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

As long as you replace the oil, I wouldn't think there would be any problems. I suppose some oil might get mixed with the air but unless you are getting ready to paint, that shouldn't be a big deal.

When I change the oil, I usually just run it for a minute or so and then check the oil level - just to make sure there are no air pockets, probably not necessary but........

Old 02-07-09, 04:14 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
the only issue I would be overly concerned with is; did any oil get into the cylinder(s). If so, some compressors can be damaged if there is fluid in the cylinders. I would operate the compressor by hand for a few revolutions before powering it.

Old 02-07-09, 04:46 PM
B
Thanks guys.....I'm just getting into doing some auto body work and I would have hated to break this thing on its first use.

Old 02-11-09, 02:10 PM
Exclamation

Most air compressors (crankcase type) don't come with oil in them just for that reason. If it is sitting up(it should be) check the oil level to see how much is in it. If it is full, then probably no oil entered the cyls.. If less than full, it may have oil in the pump area above the piston. Rotating it by hand as stated is a good idea if you think there may be oil on top of the piston. As long as there is not TOO MUCH oil on top, it should be ok. It may pump some oil out with the air until it gets it all out. I wouldn't paint with it until the oil(if any) is gone- then only with a filter.