allen wrench "index"?

Old 02-26-09, 08:31 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
allen wrench "index"?

Is there such a thing as an allen wrench index? Like a drill bit index, only for allen wrenches? What I've always called a drill bit index is simply a metal plate, usually factory fabricated, with various precision-sized holes drilled in it and with each hole labeled as to its corresponding drill bit diameter size, used to stick the bits through to easily check out what size they are when you don't know, usually because the size is either not stamped on the drill bit or otherwise unreadable. So I've got a bunch of mixed loose miscellaneous allen wrenches that I wish I had something similar to a drill bit index but that instead has various allen wrench size hex holes in it with with I could use to size them accurately and get them sorted out and organized in a set or maybe several sets. I did a little Googling for allen wrench index but really had no luck. If there is such a thing, does someone know what it might actually be called or perhaps suggest a source from where I could acquire such an item?

Old 02-27-09, 06:33 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Never heard of or seen one, though it sounds like a good idea for smaller size keys. Of course when they are sold in a set, they come in an index like that, but sold separately... don't know. Think you may want to invest in cheap vernier or dial calipers that read 1/64. Just measure across the flats of a key and you're golden.

Old 02-27-09, 07:39 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Would a drill index not work? Seems to me it would. Hexed shaped holes would not be good because if the wrench is messed up at the tip it would not fit. I think the drill index will work.

Old 02-27-09, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by badeyeben
Would a drill index not work? I think the drill index will work.
You know I never even thought of that. You're probably right, it may work. I'll see. thanks

Old 02-27-09, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by markiz37
Think you may want to invest in cheap vernier or dial calipers that read 1/64. Just measure across the flats of a key and you're golden.
If trying a regular drill bit index doesn't work, (per other suggestion here), I guess I might consider to "invest" in some "cheap" calipers. thanks markiz37!

Old 02-27-09, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
A drill index will work, but an allen won't fit in the same size drills hole. I just checked it, 3/16 allen needs a 7/32 hole for instance.

Why not just make one out of a nice block of oak or similar.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 02-27-09 at 08:40 AM. Reason: corrected fraction
Old 02-27-09, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
A drill index will work, but an allen won't fit in the same size drills hole. I just checked it, 3/16 allen needs a 7/64 hole for instance.
Why not just make one out of a nice block of oak or similar.
I haven't had a chance to try the drill index yet. Not clear what you mean when you say the drill index will work but yet the the allen won't fit the same size drill hole. If I am understanding you are saying for example if I wanted a 5/32" size allen do you mean if I stuck it through a drill index hole labeled that size it won't fit? If that's the case, it seems to me that the drill index will not work for my purposes. And yes, once I finally am get all my allens sorted out by size I would probably make a nice oak block type holder as you suggest. thanks

Old 02-27-09, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
You got it....allens are sized across the flats so if you measure across the points it will be bigger. As I said...a 3/16 allen is about 7/32 across the points and and a 7/32 allen is about 1/4 across the points. So naturally they require the bigger hole in the drill index.

EDIT: I see I mispoke in my first post...the above is correct.

Old 02-27-09, 08:46 AM
allens are sized across the flats so if you measure across the points it will be bigger.
Okay. Apparently a drill bit index won't work for me 'n my allens. Wish I had some calipers. Gotta invest in one I guess. thanks

Old 02-27-09, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
You can get a perfectly adequate dial caliper for around $10 IIRC. Make sure it has markings for 1/64", easier to do the conversions.

Old 02-27-09, 09:08 AM
You can get a perfectly adequate dial caliper for around $10 IIRC. Make sure it has markings for 1/64", easier to do the conversions.
Cool. Thanks Gunguy. If you don't mind me asking, what is IIRC?

Old 02-27-09, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I think the best thing to do with those single unmarked allen wrenches is to throw them in the trash can.

I most often use the folding hex key sets that fold up like a pocket knife. Its usually small enough to get into tight spaces, and it's clearly marked so you know which one you are using every time. I don't have any, but the tee-handle hex keys are also clearly labeled, and look good hanging in an index.

If you need indexed allen wrenches, why not just spend a few bucks and buy a new set that COMES in an index?

Old 02-27-09, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

And to some extent I agree with X....you can find an indexed set of allens at most discount tool places for prob less than the cost of a caliper and the oak.

But throw away tools? Not until they snap or both ends are rounded off. How much room can one cigar box take up?

Old 02-27-09, 09:31 AM
Yeah okay I'll just buy a new indexed set and just throw the loose ones in a cigar box and kinda forget about them. If you ever do come across an allen wrench index, though, let me know.

Old 02-27-09, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I dunno about snapping them but I could bend em for ya...

Old 02-27-09, 07:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I use an allen wrench index. It is a rubber like housing and the wrenches slip in the holes. Not too sure why you can't find one. Most plumbing, electrical supply house carry them. Example Ball Driver L Wrench Set, 12 pc # 10936 by Bondhus Corporation

Old 02-27-09, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by chandler
I use an allen wrench index. It is a rubber like housing and the wrenches slip in the holes. Not too sure why you can't find one. Most plumbing, electrical supply house carry them. Example Ball Driver L Wrench Set, 12 pc # 10936 by Bondhus Corporation
Yeah, but what I had in mind was an allen wrench index that comes by itself without the allen wrenches, because I already have a large assortment of different sized allen wrenches but which were acquired in a rather hodge-podge manner, IIRC, rather than from any set I ever had.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: