Smelly Hand tools

Old 03-25-09, 03:16 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool Smelly Hand tools

My hand tools have been stored in a plastic toolbox. They have all picked up some kind of odor that's just gross. I've ordered a new (blue!!) metal toolbox and I need to de-smell my tools before setting up the new toolbox. Any suggestions for getting rid of the smell on my tools?

please

Old 03-25-09, 04:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The same thing happens to cheap tackle boxes. Good that you chose to change your box. I would probably just put the tool in a sink and wash them with soapy water, completely dry them and spray them with WD-40, which is a water displacement product. That should get rid of the smell. Laying them in the sun for a good part of the day will also help dissipate the smell. I like to follow the WD-40 with a teflon based lubricant similar to Liquid Wrench with teflon. It dries without leaving a dust collecting residue, but lubricates the tools.

Old 03-25-09, 05:43 AM
M
Thanks Chandler. I've already had them all sitting out all day in the hot Florida sun. There was some improvement but not too much. I'll try washing them all in soapy water,spraying them with WD-40 and then letting them sit in the sun for another day.
Doesn't the WD-40 leave a film? Does it dry by itself or should I rub it in or something?

Old 03-25-09, 02:47 PM
The WD-40 will leave a slight film, but it's main job is water displacement. In other words, it gets the water out of the little nooks and crannies of the tools. You can wipe them down if you wish. That is why I suggested following with a teflon type lubricant which dries but leaves the parts moving

Old 03-27-09, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Personally, I'd throw them all in a pail of diesel fuel, will get rid of the smell and lubricate at the same time.

Old 03-27-09, 07:10 PM
Dontcha love the smell of diesel fuel in the morning???? I would imagine these tools don't get the use ours does and the smell of diesel fuel would be worse than mildew.

Old 03-29-09, 07:11 PM
M
OK JJ and Chandler. Are you serious here about the diesel fuel? I'm still working on these darn tools here and I'm about ready to take you up on the diesel fuel thing. That or dumping the bunch and getting all new hand tools. Are you really serious about the diesel fuel?
Needless to say, these tools probably aren't used as much as yours are. I'm a wanna be do-it-yourselfer, but I've been doing pretty good so far on my own - well. . . . with the help of people here on the forums. I reallly count on the help I get here.

Old 03-29-09, 07:41 PM
I seriously wouldn't use diesel fuel on them. They will smell like diesel fuel for a long time, and in your environment, I am sure you wouldn't like it. Has the general cleaning not worked? If the smell is too much, you may have to relegate them to a tool box (military M-30 or M-60 box) for your trunk and replace these.
Now we haven't discussed spraying them with Chanel #5 with a straight face, have we?

Old 03-29-09, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Before you dive into the diesel bucket. Try the room freshener All, or Frebreze.
I had a tool box that had a lot of tools that weren't used that often, and they got to smelling kinda funky.
I used Frebreze, and it seemed to work pretty good. On the plus side my tool box had a fresh spring smell.

Travis

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: