Drill torque

Old 03-31-09, 09:20 AM
M
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Drill torque

I have a 12V Dewalt cordless drill. It has the markings of 1, 2, 3...all the way up to 16 or 17 I think. I never paid attention to it but I think I remember reading that it controls the amount of torque. I could be wrong.

I recently has to install some Fernco couplings on a PVC to cast iron pipe. The coupling has two stainless steel bands that tightens with a hex head. It says on the specification it should tigten it at 60 lb torque. Too light it might ruin the clamps and the rubber sleeve, and too loose it will leak.

I am not sure how tight 60 lb torque is, and I wonder if I can set my cordless drill to take me to 60 lb?

Furthermore, is it only 60lb when the drill is fully charged?

Thanks,

Old 03-31-09, 09:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Wellllll, not exactly. What the settings on cordless drill/drivers do is release the clutch at a higher or lower point. The amount of torque output of the drill is constant, but as the fastener gets tighter, i.e. more resistance, the clutch releases and you get the playing cards-in-the-bicycle-spokes sound. Sort of like the way a "click"-type torque wrench releases when the torque setting is reached. You would need to calibrate the setting numbers on the driver against a torque wrench or torque measuring device in order to do what you are wanting. You didn't say inch-pounds or foot-pounds, but I'm guessing inch pounds based on the application; 60 inch pounds (equal to 5 foot-pounds) is not very much torque. Think of it as applying 5 pounds of weight on a one foot long lever (wrench, ratchet).

Old 03-31-09, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Don't use your drill..too many variables as you noted. Battery charge, wear of internal clutch, etc etc. Some drills can go up to around 1000 inch pounds of torque, but its hit or miss since it's normally used for screws and lag bolts. The setting may be need to be changed from high to low when changing types of fasteners or type of wood.

I'll bet if you look closely, the torque requirement is inch/lbs..not foot/lbs. 60 in/lbs really isn't that much.

A plumbing supply shop would have the correct tool if you wish to be exact. They are pre-set for the correct torque.

Edit...aww TG beat me this time..shouldn't have taken that smoke break...lol

Old 03-31-09, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Gave this some second thought; you could actually do a rough calibration pretty easily. Here's how:

Get a piece of steel rod and bend a 90 degree at one end like a giant allen wrench. The free end would be at least 12" long.

Hang a 5 pound weight at the 12" mark and hold the combination so the rod is horizontal. Now trigger the drill, if the weight is raised you are applying more than 5 ft.lb. Lower or raise the clutch setting until it slips, then probably go one number up (lowest number without clutch slippage).

This would be pretty rough, so the margin of error would be 5-10 in.lb +/- I think.

Old 03-31-09, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
Kind of like torqueing with an impact gun:

HOW TO TORQUE WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH.

(Don't try this at home)

TORQUE VALUE
25 to 35 ft/lbs BAP! BAP!
35 to 45 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP!
45 to 60 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
60 to 75 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
75 to 90 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
90 to 100 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
110 to 300 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!

Old 04-04-09, 06:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not to cut in on ya Tow Guy, but that theory depends on what size and make of gun you're usin'. Ex. a 1/2" no name brand will be like you stated. My 1/2" IR, you're breakin' bolts all day. Our 1" CP, .....well that's another story.

Old 04-04-09, 02:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
And you may be dealing with INCH pounds, not foot pounds with a fernco, so know the difference.

Old 04-04-09, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Ha...yer too late chandler..already said that..lol..not that we've heard anything back.

Old 04-04-09, 05:09 PM
Darn, I guess I missed that tidbit. I was concerned they were going to wring off the worm gear if they slammed it with a goodly charged drill. At least the information was consistent, huh?

Old 04-04-09, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Yepper Yepper..3 bags full.

I good drill would strip out a worm clamp in a heartbeat.

Hey chandler..still renting that cabin thing?

Old 04-04-09, 05:56 PM
Yeah, just finished the 8x16 bath addition. Got a little wild with my design. Was able to move the laundry to a dedicated area of the new bath and installed a fully tiled 4x8 walk in shower. My guys were slow, so I told them what I wanted, and they built it. Hey, might just move into it when this property gets too much to take care of.

Old 04-04-09, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Well, when we get ahead enough for a trip..I'll be contacting you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: