Wheelbarrow: Plastic vs. Steel

Old 06-01-09, 07:08 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wheelbarrow: Plastic vs. Steel

Looking to buy a wheelbarrow and want to get some opinions. I've heard from a few people that the ones with plastic tubs are easier to manoeuvre but I'm just worried about durability.

Any opinions or recommendations on makes would be great.

Old 06-01-09, 07:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Plastic ones won't rust but they can crack, especially in cold weather. IMO both are easy/hard to maneuver depending on the load.

Old 06-01-09, 09:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 51 Posts
Get the plastic, the durability and rust-resistence trumps everything else. Just get one with a heavy-duty tub and not a thin-walled cheapo one.

Old 06-16-09, 07:43 PM
R
What about the surface of a plastic tub standing up to scraping with a hoe when mixing concrete?

Also, does anyone have opinions on the new airless tires?

Old 06-16-09, 08:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Metal for heavy duty work, like concrete. Plastic for sissy stuff like carrying flowers around in the yard. Just kiddin' TG!!! Really they both have their place, and if you take care of your metal one it won't rust out. Airless tires are harder than the pneumatic ones, but I fill mine with Slime anyway, so they don't go flat.

Old 06-17-09, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator
The heavy duty plastic ones will take quite a bit of abuse. There are no sissies in Florida, we ship them to Georgia.

Old 06-17-09, 07:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
I bought my steel wheel barrow when i lived in fla [prior to the plastic ones being sold] but became a firm believer in plastic wheel barrows because of how well they held up.... until I moved to tenn. I don't know how many broken plastic tubs I've seen here. Apparently they break easy if you use them in below freezing temps

Old 06-17-09, 08:00 AM
Group Moderator
Aaaah, would not be a problem I would have thought of.

Old 06-17-09, 02:43 PM
Seeeeee?!! My neighbor about 1/4 mile away was "toting" something in her wheelbarrow (steel) when one of the handles broke. She just propped it against a tree where our driveways intersect, punched some holed in it, put dirt in it and planted pansies, or something like that. I told her I'd put a handle on for her, but she just decided to make a planter of it and go buy a plastic one (to carry flowers around in her yard).

Old 06-17-09, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is that called a Georgia planter, chandler? Or is that the the tractor tires? Lol

Couldn't help myself..it's in my genes...

Old 06-17-09, 07:31 PM
Yeah, we adapt, improvise and overcome. Nothing goes to waste. We use everything on the pig but the squeal. Hey, don't laugh, the best tomatoes my dad ever grew were planted in an abandoned toilet. Scientifically it would work better since it has a built in trap to hold a certain amount of water and expel the rest.

Old 05-20-12, 10:01 AM
Red face You all are a hoot....

You all are a hoot. Being a single mom of three makes things challenging sometimes...especially since i'm short, lol. However...I appreciate all the opinions on the plastic vs steel wheel barrow. I live in Western New York where our winters are cold....so I am gathering that steel will be my best option. I dont plan on using it in the winter....summer, sping and fall only. But if cold can compromise the integrity of the material i appreciate the help.

Old 05-20-12, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the forums! We do get carried away sometimes, but all in fun. Being a contractor, steel is my preference, but I use it year round and tend to abuse it more than a homeowner would. Plastic is lighter, won't rust (mine die before they get a chance to rust), and last much longer.

Old 05-20-12, 02:42 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have a plastic wheelbarrow that I have used and abused for years. It's got scratches from mixing concrete with a hoe and the handles have been replaced because I leave it hanging on the back of the garage all winter long and they rotted. Considering I've had the same wheelbarrow for 25 years, I think I've got my moneys worth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: