Help with Craftsman Radial Saw repair 113.29402

Old 06-19-09, 12:40 PM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Craftsman Radial Saw repair 113.29402

I just got a '60s era Craftsman Radial Arm Saw (113.29402) and it came with the original manual and some accessories (yeah!). But my initial enthusiasm is damped by the discovery that I essentially need to take this beast apart and lube everything. The area that worries me is the whole Arm to Post attachment. The Arm Lock Screw and Arm Lock Pin are buried deep within the cast arm and I can't see how to get them back in (if I manage to get them out). Then there's the Arm Latch and Brake Shoe, also within the cast arm. And what's with the "pan head screw type B sheet metal screw" on the right side of the arm, below the arm cap, with no description and no obvious function?

They had to put this together at the factory -- how do I take it apart (and get it back together) in the field? Anyone?

Old 06-19-09, 02:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Rick! Now, it's not a .45 automatic, so you don't have to field strip it to get it lubed. I would take it outside, cover the motor with a plastic bag and use a pressure washer to get the worst of the gunk off it (if it is as bad as you imply). Then blow it dry with compressed air. I like to use a dry lube such as Liquid Wrench with teflon. It lubes, but is dry within a few seconds. It doesn't tend to attract sawdust like WD40 would. Although initially it wouldn't hurt for the deeper joints to spray WD40 in them with the straw, moving the parts as you go.
Oh, yeah, congratulations on the find. If you get it working well, it should give you years of service. My 70's vintage won't break to allow me to buy a new fancy one. Such is life.

Old 06-19-09, 02:55 PM
R
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's a real beauty, a genuine finger chopper :-) I got it for $40 at a garage sale last weekend and was told it's my Father's Day present.

It's not that it's gunky, but everything sticks. Cranking the Arm up and down is a real bear. To swivel the arm I have to really tug on the Arm Latch Lever to disengage the detent, then I have to reef on the arm to get it to move at all. I really just want to WD-40 the internals and loosen things up, but I can't reach them. I've tried WD-40 on the Arm/Post joint, but it didn't help much (if any). There's sawdust inside everything, and I'm sure that's not helping. I'd like to just strip it all down and clean it out, if possible. The Arm/Post joint is my biggest worry.

BTW, I finally got the back cover off and discovered the mysterious pan head screw is holding a cord clamp inside the arm. If I twist the arm around 180 degrees I can get to the Arm Latch, but I still can't reach the Brake Shoe, Arm Lock Screw and Arm Lock Pin without pulling the Arm off the Post, and I'm afraid it won't go back together if I do that... I'm also not sure I'm strong enough to pull them apart!

Old 05-22-11, 10:57 AM
M
I have the same saw as you. I got it from a friend. The saw used to belong to his father and it's been years since it was used. I would like to get it working again and could really use the operators manual. Is there any chance you would be willing to share a copy? Thank you very much.

Old 05-22-11, 08:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Don't think you're going to get a reply from Rick; his last visit was Dec of '09.

BUT, you can find it here in PDF format:

VintageMachinery.org - Craftsman - Publication Reprints - 113.29402 10-inch Radial Saw

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: