Drill/driver bit set recommendations?

Old 07-04-09, 03:15 PM
G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drill/driver bit set recommendations?

I could use some helpful advice from folks in the know as I equip myself to be a more DIY homeowner and budding woodworker. I recently picked up a Panasonic cordless drill/driver (Model EY6432, 15.6V DC, chuck capacity 1/16Ē-1/2Ē), and I want to get a versatile drill/driver bit set to make good use of it. The set should enable me to do all of the ordinary things, namely wood, plastic and maybe once in a while even some metal and masonry drilling, screw and nut driving, and perhaps also a bit of spade drilling/hole cutting. Iím never going to turn contractor or anything like that, but I have long since learned that itís best to buy quality tools, so I donít want to just run to yonder big box store and buy whatever set they happen to have on display.

Can anyone recommend a particular manufacturer/set to me? It would be great if you want to tell me why you especially like your recommendation, too, but if you donít have such a recommendation to offer please bear in mind that Iíve already read up more than enough to be beyond the need for general advice (e.g. on the basic steel types and treatments). What I really need at this point is some specific product recommendations to help me put such information to use.

Thanks!

Gerry

Old 07-04-09, 06:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Dewalt makes a good quality, commonly found drill driver set. I would get one with a flip over drill/driver. Makes it easy to drill pilots, countersink if necessary, flip and drill your screw.
Not bashing a brand, mind you, but the last Ryobi drill/driver I bought, wound up in the lake I was working next to. The collar wouldn't keep the driver from falling out. Could of had a bad one, who knows.

Old 07-06-09, 07:51 AM
G
Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation, Chandler! Now I'll look around some more and see if I can put the latter to use!

Gerry

Old 07-06-09, 04:55 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Sometimes buying the big cheap set is ok - as you break and wear things out, you replace them with quality stuff. After a while, you have quality brands for the stuff you use a lot and lower cost for the stuff you use rarely.

That said, it's hard to go wrong with DeWalt.

Old 07-06-09, 05:01 PM
I have to disagree , a cheap poorly machined bit (or screwdriver ) wont securely fit the slot and is likely to strip or booger up the slot

the last couple dewalt sets I bought where crap

(off course they where on sale so maybe they now make different qualitys )

I would go with Milwaukee or Bosch
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 07-09-09, 04:54 AM
D
doc
I'm not sure about Milwaukee or Bosch, but I've had my Dewault set for some time and have been pleased.

Old 07-17-09, 03:05 PM
N
I have a few Irwin drill bit sets. They also make Vise Grip brand locking pliers in case you don't recognize the brand. I like them so far. Not sure where they are made but lately I've been trying to avoid made in china but that can get expensive. That's my 2Ę anyway.

Old 07-17-09, 08:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Irwin makes some super knife blades (razor type). Almost unbreakable and they stay sharper longer than Stanley's. I go through 50 Stanley's in a month.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: