air compressor will not turn ?

Old 09-23-09, 07:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
air compressor will not turn ?

I have an el cheapo harbor freight US660V air compressor that I bought about 3 years ago to paint my boat w/ -- recently I went to use it and it made a terrible sound and did not spin -- the terrible sound was the electric motor not spinning because the compressor was seized. If I turn it by hand, I can spin the pulley easily about a full revolution each way before it just "stops" -- sometimes you can jiggle it and it will continue spinning. Any ideas what this could be? Could I fix myself? I'm guessing probably some kind of internal component -- rod bearing? Never had one of these apart.

It worked great when it worked : /

Thanks !

Old 09-24-09, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Sounds as if it is a connecting rod on the compressor. You will have to tear it down to get to it, as I don't see a quick fix. Is the sound a clunking sound or does it feel like excessive pressure build up?

Old 09-24-09, 10:01 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info -- I would say it is definitely a clunking sound. Would I be able to find a part easily? Would I need a gasket kit or anything to put it back together? I've torn down engines before but never a compressor...

Old 09-24-09, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Yeah, it's sort of like tearing down a car engine. Get all the parts, as well as all the gaskets, as you will surely tear them up upon removal, and you will get a better seal with new ones, anyway. Same theory, except you are taking in air via reed valves and compressing it with a piston.

Old 09-24-09, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Even if parts were available it would likely be cheaper and more reliable to just replace the pump.
For less than ninety bucks you can buy a new replacement.

Click image:

Image courtesy of harborfreight.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: