sledgehammer handle

Old 10-06-09, 01:26 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
sledgehammer handle

I need to replace a broken wooden sledgehammer handle. I bought a new handle that came with a new metal wedge and a wooden wedge (photo at link provided). I've never actually had occasion to replace such a handle and could use some instruction/tips for doing it just right. Thanks
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1234.jpg

Old 10-06-09, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The way I've done it..is make sure the handle is a pretty tight fit in the head initially. Then drive the wood wedge into the slot in the handle, use a mallet or similar, don't break it all up. Then drive the metal wedge at about a 60 degree angle across the wood wedge.

Old 10-06-09, 03:30 PM
When I begin to drive the tapered end of the handle into the head, it begins getting tight already after only insertion of a half-inch or so of it into the hole, and the pre-cut slot in the end gets compressed already, too tight to have any room to drive the wood wedge into it (the slot gets completely compressed closed after the half-inch insertion). The hole through the head measures 2 1/4", so I need to be able to drive the handle that far. I'm thinking if I can get the handle driven in as far as it is supposed to go, I could then drive the metal wedge at the 60-degree angle as was mentioned, without need for the wooden wedge. So far I've tried putting the head down on a hard solid surface and tried to hammer the big end down to drive the tapered end into it, but it doesn't seem to want to go and I don't want to hammer the wooden handle so hard I crack it. What's the method for driving the handle into the head properly anyway? Seems I'm doing something not quite right. It's already really tight after insertion only a half inch and I need to go in over 2 inches!

Old 10-06-09, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
All handles need to be adjusted (rasped and sanded) to fit...

Not much more that I can say

Old 10-06-09, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
All handles need to be adjusted (rasped and sanded) to fit... Not much more that I can say
If that's the case then I gotta lot of sanding to do. NO FUN

Old 10-07-09, 04:37 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some info at:
eBay Guides - How to re-handle a Hammer, Sledge Hammer, Axe, and Maul

To install a new Hickory Handle into a Hammer, Axe, Sledge Hammer, or splitting maul follow the steps listed below.

1. Saw off the old handle close to the tool head. (Hold in a vice etc. Some rubber or some type of protection will keep from destroying your makers marks). Using a punch drive out the old piece of handle. The old piece maybe loosened a bit by drilling through it. Be careful not to drill into your tool head.

2. Try fitting the new handle into the tool. If it is too large us a wood rasp, draw knife, sander etc. to slowly remove the wood until you can get a tight fit.

3. To seat the tool head onto the new handle strike the grip end or butt of the new handle firmly on the ground, driving the tool head down to within 3/4" of the shoulder swell of the handle.

4. Saw off the extra 1/2" or so of the handle now sticking past the tool head flush with the bottom side of the head.

5. Insert the hardwood wedge into the wedge slot and drive it in until it stops. Saw off any remaining wedge flush with the bottom side of the head.

6. Now if you like drive in flat metal wedge perpendicular, or at a 45 degree angle to the wood wedge. If you have a round metal safety wedge drive it in in the middle of the of eye space. It should divide the wood wedge on both sides.

Please work safe! Wear safety goggles, hearing protection, gloves etc.

This is a general idea of how to install a new handle and is not the only way to do it.

Old 10-07-09, 05:55 PM
I sanded and sanded until finally the tapered end of the new handle started to fit in further. Then I put a little oil on it and hammered and hammered down on the other end of the handle with the head down on a solid surface until the tapered end finally fit all the way in, which was 2 1/4'. Then I drove in the metal wedge at about a 60-degree angle to where the wood wedge would be if I had ever had a slot open enough to drive it in, which was not the case so there was no wood wedge used.
Seems like the head is on there tight and won't ever come off with normal use.

thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: