Ladder type 1A

Old 11-14-09, 08:56 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ladder type 1A

When buying a used ladder how do you tell if it is a type 2 or a type 1 or a type 1A. I am looking to buy a type 1A aluminum ladder, preferably a Louisville ladder. I looked at one today and the label was faded away so the lettering was not readable. This ladder had 3 inch rails or mini I beams. The top flange was inch and 1/8 across. Are all ladders made this way and the rails are lighter? Or do the lighter duty ladders have thinner (smaller) rails?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-09, 05:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
The ladder should be clearly marked - are you looking at used ladders??

What size ladder are you looking for? step or extension?

Type III ladders are the lightest ladders both in weight and duty rating. Type I looks pretty much the same but weighs more and feels more stable when your on it. Type II is commercial duty and is between the I & II in both weight and duty rating. If I remember right a IA is a fiberglass ladder [fiberglass rails, aluminum rungs]

Any particular reason for wanting the Louisville brand? I've always been partial to the Werner brand of ladders which is pretty much the industry standard.

Old 11-15-09, 07:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a Louisville plank and another Louisville ladder and have had good luck with them. I need another ladder so I do not need to borrow and most people buy the cheapest like the type II and the plank feels spongy on that end. The fiberglass ladders are much heaver than the all aluminium ladders. I am looking for an extension ladder around 28 feet. I would assume if you weighed a 28 foot Louisville Type IA ladder and weighed the Ladder you cannot read the lables on, and if they weighed the same or really close, it would be a Type IA. Werner seems to have a better dealership network, there are a lot of Werner ladders in the field.

Old 11-15-09, 12:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Most homeowners buy the type III ladders - they are the cheapest/lowest priced.... also the wobbliest and they get worse with use

Most of my ladders are type I although I do have a couple of short extension ladders that are type II. I'd have to go to the shop and check to see if my fiberglass stepladders are type I or IA. I still own/use a few wooden step ladders - they're heavy but comfortable

I suspect it will be hard to find a good used type I or IA 28 extension ladder. Most of us who buy good ladders do so because we work off of them often and want something that will last. Generally used ladders are sold by home owners although you might luck up and find a contractor that has went out of business and selling his equipment.

Old 11-15-09, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Most homeowners buy the type III ladders - they are the cheapest/lowest priced.... also the wobbliest and they get worse with use
Hey! I resemble that remark...lol.

I have a 6' Louisville type II and a 7' Husky type I. I swear about the only difference I can see are gussets riveted to the sides on the steps on the Type I. The fiberglass and aluminum are actually the same w/in a few thousandths.

btw...7' ladders are the bomb. As easy to handle as a 6', but clears low ceilings (no gouges!) and allows plenty of reach to taller ones. And I got it on clearance for $25!!!

Old 11-15-09, 02:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Or you could buy an 8' ladder and do as one guy did, install his sheetrock using his ladder as an end support for the rock. Only problem, it wouldn't scissor up so he could remove it. Had to bust out one section so he could get his ladder out of the room.

Old 11-15-09, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a "great goofs" story...lol