air impact wrench question

Old 11-30-09, 12:36 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
air impact wrench question

Hello, I'm new. Got some good info from this forum. Got a quick question. I live on a farm, plus i'm a registered nurse. have a bunch of farm machinery at home. I purchased a VT6271 air compressor for the garage. Reason why I purchased it: it's mobile and borderline between professional and at home air compressor. Basically, I'm going use it to remove nuts off of machinery and maybe an occasional paint spraying job around the house. no auto work.

Specs on the Vt6271 are:
3 Running HP, 26 Gallon Cast Iron Compressor powers a variety of air tools for the serious do-it-yourselfer, professional, or contractor. Product life up to 5,000 hours. Durable and safe ASME code tank for greater storage.
CFM @40 PSI = 11.5
CFM @90 PSI = 10.2
Max Pressure = 135
Pump type cast iron

I know it's not the most fanciest air compressor out there. I was thinking about getting a 3/4 in impact wrench. Was thinking the Chicago Pneumatic Air Impact Wrench — 3/4in. Drive, Model# CP772H. Specs are

Drive (in.) 3/4
Average Air Consumption (CFM)6
CFM at Load 24
Speed - No Load (RPM) 4200
Blows Per Minute (BPM) 900
Max. Torque (ft.-lbs.) 1000
Working Torque (ft.-lb.) 100-700
Inlet Size (in.) 3/8
Min. Hose Size (in.)1/2
Hammer Mechanism dynapact clutch
Standard Bolt Capacity (in.) 1
Variable Speed yes

Will this wrench work on this compressor? CFM at load confuses me. Will this compressor be sufficient enough to support this impact wrench? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Red

Old 11-30-09, 12:52 PM
M
CFM at load is average CFM times 4 or the volume of air that the tool will consume in one minute to perform at full capacity. Since an impact is very intermittent by nature, you should be fine. If the compressor runs longer than 10 minutes without shutting off, just let go of the trigger and let the machine catch up and cool down a bit.

Old 11-30-09, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
That wrench will exceed the capacity of the air compressor but should at least loosen larger nuts.
That compressor is cast iron and should have no problem with extended running time.

I use a 3/4" impact on a 10 cfm@90 psi compressor and it does a pretty good job of loosening stubborn nuts.
I will just loosen the nuts then switch to a 1/2" impact to remove them.

If this is going to be your only impact you would do better with a 1/2" drive and a breaker bar.

Old 11-30-09, 08:47 PM
R
thanks for the info. my dad was never a mechanic. my knowledge with anything mechanical or air tools is very limited. my wife moved me from the city to the country. Her dad has about 1800 acres of land. He's about 80 years old and now I'm the sole care taker of the land.

Her dad did everything old schooled, cheater bar everything. He only had a 3.1 CFM air compressor to air his tires up. Figure I would get a bigger compressor to aid my aging body. the biggest tackle for me is the 6 head disc mower. So many nuts we have to remove to get to the grease reserviors and to remove the old mower blades. I hope the air compressor will save me time and some bloody knuckles.

I figured I would purchase a 3/4in and 1/2 in wrench. I'll probably get a 1/2 in hose as well. Is it wise to get a 3/4 in female/ 1/2 male adapter to accomadate my 1/2 in sockets or forget it? Would it be hard on the impact?

Once again, thanks for the advice. Appreciate it.

Old 12-01-09, 04:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Yes, an adapter would be fine.
it would make no difference to the impact but it could break the 1/2" drive sockets.

An import 3/4" drive socket set is not that expensive.

Click image:

Image courtesy of harborfreight.com

Another thing to consider is a 3/4" drive complete set.

Click image:

Image courtesy of harborfreight.com

Also, get yourself a small bottle of air tool oil and use it sparingly.

Old 12-02-09, 06:08 AM
R
harbor freight has some nice prices on some things. thanks for the ideas. will come in handy.

Red

Old 12-02-09, 09:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
"my knowledge with anything mechanical or air tools is very limited"

It's never too late to learn

I've bought a lot of tools from Harbor Freight over the last 25 yrs or so. Some of their tools are decent quality but some is cheap junk - just be sure to check it out first. Their better sockets and wrenches come with a lifetime warranty but you must retain the sales receipt.

I have several sets of their impact sockets including 3/4" drive which I use with my HF 1/2" drive impact [with a 1/2-3/4" adapter] I've had the impact for over 20 yrs and it still works great. I only wish I had bought one with more torque, mine only has 250 lbs ...... but a breaker bar [with cheater if needed] works when the impact doesn't have enough punch.

btw - welcome to the forums!
.... and in case you didn't know - tool buying can become an addiction

Old 12-02-09, 10:29 PM
R
thanks for the welcome

"tool buying can become an addiction"... yeah I'm finding this out quickly, especially with this new air compressor geez. wow, how much money that I have spent the last few weeks on this air compressor and accessories. as long as the wife doesn't find out, I'm in good shape. she knows I got an air compressor, but she doesn't know what's all involved with it. glad she stays in the house.

Old 12-19-09, 12:55 PM
Just as a side note. Those cheap chrome 3/4" drive sets, beware, my 3/4"drive IR impact will break them, once they're cracked, they're paper weights. As with a lot of things, you get what you pay for, tools are one of them.

Old 12-19-09, 02:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
You shouldn't use a chrome socket on an impact, you are supposed to use the impact sockets which are a lot stronger. I've had good luck with the cheap impact sockets although I do have one chrome socket I use with the impact. An 1 and 5/8" [I think, whatever my tractor axle nut is] It was what I could find the day I needed it wasn't cheap either - $20+

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: