Another air compresser problem

Old 12-14-09, 01:25 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another air compresser problem

Well i have a Porter Cable mo#cffn251t pancake compressor that stopped working. I was using the nail gun and when pressure got low the motor kicked in to refill but the motor would not shut itself off so i unplugged it. After the fact i started to smell overheated motor so i figured maybe the motor blew. I let the unit cool down for a couple hours and tried to use it again but the motor wont even come on now, its completely dead.

I opened the unit to have a look around, the fuse inside is fine. Iv looked at the motor for hours and cant seem to find what the problem is. I did read somewhere that some have breakers inside that can trip but had no luck finding one on this unit. Any thoughts, am i missing something here, also is it possible the on off switch can faulty? Sucks cause this unit is a little over a year old and iv become very attached to it lately.

Old 12-14-09, 04:12 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
look on the motor data plate for the words "thermally protected".

If it does say that, and it most likely does, there are either thermal fuses or a thermal switch inside the motor.

do you have an ohmmeter or continuity tester?

plus, there should be a description of what type of motor this is. post that as well.

Old 12-14-09, 05:00 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your AC power supply may have an upstream bad [high resistance] connection that prevents the motor from getting its rated voltage when it needs it.

Old 12-14-09, 05:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
What does the AC have to do with an air compressor?

Old 12-15-09, 07:46 AM
H
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
What does the AC have to do with an air compressor?
Sorry, I should have said ". . . your Alternating Current power supply. . ."

Old 12-15-09, 01:18 PM
U
Originally Posted by hesaidshesaid View Post
Sorry, I should have said ". . . your Alternating Current power supply. . ."
Thanks for the responses guys, i dont have any of those meters. I look around some more today and still have no idea what it is im looking for. I snapped some pics of the motor, if you guys have any other suggestions feel free to chime in, thanks again.

Old 12-15-09, 08:43 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Have you removed the cover and some of the wiring on the motor as the pic indicates?

Old 12-19-09, 11:34 PM
U
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Have you removed the cover and some of the wiring on the motor as the pic indicates?
Yup, just the cover and the two wires that go to the switch. Iv gave up seeing as i have no clue what to look for. All i can do is hope someone can give me some guidance and go from there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: