Pancake compressor or trim compressor for newbie

Old 01-13-10, 03:47 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Pancake compressor or trim compressor for newbie

I'm looking to buy a small air compressor and nail gun to do trim work around the house(baseboard, baseshoe, and door trim) . I'm not a PRO. I don't need anything too fancy. .

I found a factory reconditioned Bostitch combo kit at Amazon for $190. This sounds like a good deal to me. This kit comes with a 18-ga 2" brad nailer, a 18-ga 1.5" finish stapler, a 16-ga 2.5" finish nailer and a 40-foot hose. It comes with the CAP2000P compressor which is 6-gallon oil-free pancake type with 2.9 CFM at 90 PSI and 150 PSI max.

My second option is the Bostitch TrimAir CAP1516 compressor. I found a brand new one at Amazon for $80 shipped. This compressor has a 1.6 gallon tank and offers 1.8 CFM at 90 PSI and 125 PSI max. This thing is light. It weights only 19 pounds. I also found a factory reconditioned Bostitch BT200K 18-ga 2" brad nailer for $30 at Amazon.

A third option is to get the porter-cable combo kit (compressor + 3 guns) from HD for ~$300. Which is pretty much the same as the Bostitch combo kit.

I thought the trim compressor is supposed to be quieter than the pancake type compressor. However, Bostitch rates the TrimAir at 75dB while the CAP2000P at 72 dB. Does it sounds right to you?

I don't think I will ever need the finish stapler but I'm not sure if I will need the 16-ga finish nailer for the baseboard.

Which set do you think I should buy? Thanks!

Old 01-13-10, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have been in this business for just over 45 years. So I am giving you my own personal opinion based on experience. You can take my advice or not, its your choice.
My advice is I would not buy any of them on Amazon, no matter how good they are, or how inexpensive they are. You are buying tools to use not repair. Reconditioned tools, mean they have already quit and traded in on a new one. It is the air rings in them that give out. I always buy new. If I buy new I have a guarantee that comes with them, and I have someone (a dealer) to go to when there is a problem. I burn out a trim nailer about once a year, and a nailer every 6 months, and I buy the best on the market. I trade them in and they get reconditioned and sold on e-bay or Amazon for someone who thinks they are getting a good deal. Remember, if you buy cheap, you will get cheap. Both style of compressors are good. I kind of like the little one, and I use the 1/4 air hose. I have both types of compressors. Good Luck

Old 01-13-10, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Just another penny's worth. You don't have much choice, but in a pancake compressor, you will find the oil less ones quite noisy, so plan on that. If you can find an oil compressor, IMO, you would be better satisfied. Pancakes are good, Hot dogs are better, here again opinion. I use a Ridgid double hot dog on wheels with the 1/4" nylon braid hose like Jack suggested. It doesn't kink in cold weather and 100' only weighs a pound or so.
Nailers, buy good ones and keep them maintained and lubricated if it calls for it. I'll have to admit, however, I have some recon's that work exceptionally well, but maintenance it the key.

Old 01-14-10, 03:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I have to disagree with Jack a little. Over the years I've bought several factory reconditioned tools. Every one I've bought has had the same warranty as a brand new one. They do come with some scratches but I've never had any problems with any of them.... but they are not tools I've bought to use commercially.

I've only bought from Amazon once and that was just recently. I bought a 6 amp skil jig saw, including a full 1 year warranty that was reconditioned - $40 compared to $100+ brand new.

I also prefer an oiled compressor. The oil less ones are just too noisy!!!

Old 01-14-10, 11:35 AM
K
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I'm not 100% sure about the recon's either. Even more so on the combo kit.

I still prefer a oil-less compressor for easy maintenance. Do I need a bigger pancake compressor or I can get by with a trim compressor like the Bostitch Trim Air? What are the pros and cons? How much more can the pancake do with the extra CFM (2.6 v.s. 1.8 @ 90 psi) and PSI (150 v.s. 125 PSI max) and a bigger tank? Remember, I will be running one gun at a time... Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: