What are notch or bulldog snips?

Old 02-28-10, 01:04 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 254
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What are notch or bulldog snips?

I've seen a sheet metal cutting tool that instead of cutting the material into two pieces like scissors, it removes a thin strip of material in the cutting process. Is that a "notch" type snip?

If so, what is the width of the cut and what size hole is required for a plunge cut (a cut that starts in the middle of the material as opposed to an edge)? I searched for this info online but no one gives that spec.
Old 02-28-10, 01:40 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 36,607
Upvotes: 0
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
The width of cut (waste) is about 1/4". Making a "plunge" cut will require a hole about 1" in diameter in order to get the bottom tooth below the metal. Is the one you saw electric or pneumatic? I have used the electric ones, and they seem to make a rather nice cut, aside from the waste.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title: