Band Saw Recommendations?

Old 03-13-10, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Band Saw Recommendations?

Mt daughter would like to get her husband a band saw. While I have accumulated several thousand in various tools, that is one that I have no experience with. She would be willing to spend up to $500. Can anyone out there make suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-10, 01:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 285 Votes on 261 Posts
I don't have a recommendation for something that inexpensive (and small)... but I hope the husband WANTS a bandsaw. LOL I've been a carpenter for 20 years and still have never had use for one. (for me that will be a retirement tool when I start doing my own logging and milling...) There are a lot of other tools I'd rather receive other than a bandsaw... but that's just my 2 cents. Maybe he's been dropping her some hints (or has a project in mind for him!!!) LOL

I guess my gut feeling would be to go with a Craftsman... you have a good brand name and hopefully parts and service for years to come.

Old 03-13-10, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I use a Craftsman (older model) and it does a fine job. It won't cost that much. Does your SIL just want one for intricate cuts or do you think he will do any "resawing" the latter will require a wider bladed saw, maybe a Shop Smith or other saw made for that. I also use a 24" throat scroll saw which does nice intricate work with a really small blade. Got it for about $100.

Old 03-16-10, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would go with (and did) the Rigid 14" from Home Depot. It has a lifetime warranty and costs only about $350 including the stand. I also installed a riser block so I can re-saw wood up to 12" wide. I think you'll find that a lot of these saws are made by the same company all in China. Delta, Craftsman, Rigid etc. To prove this point the riser block I got is made for a Grizzly and works fine. All the bolt holes and screw holes line up exactly.