Electric chainsaw sharpener question

Old 03-13-10, 02:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electric chainsaw sharpener question

Just bought a Northern model # 193020 (Oregon 511a knockoff) chainsaw chain sharpener and am trying to get it setup. The instructions are almost worthless. I am trying to figure out how to determine the correct grinding wheel and how to properly dress the grinding wheel.
My chainsaw is a Stihl 024AV w/16 bar and am running a 3/8 pitch Stihl 33RSC3 60 chain.
My sharpener came with 3 wheels (1/8, 3/16, and 1/4). It says I must dress the wheel to fit in a u shaped guide, but I didnt want to shape the wrong wheel and there is no guide for the 1/8 wheel.
For a 3/8 pitch chain what wheel should I use?
Also I dont understand the tilt angle. My chain says 10 degrees.
Im pretty new to this sharpening thing (and this is my first post to this forum) so I may have rambled on too long.
Please help. I was looking for a video on the net to show how to dress the wheel but couldnt find anything.
Thanks, John

Old 03-14-10, 02:50 PM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Chain Sharpening

According to the Stihl manual, a 3/8" pitch chain requires a 5/32" file. I think you need a 5/32" wheel. Did you get a file with the saw? Is it a 5/32" file?

Old 03-15-10, 06:19 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I used one of the knock offs from Harbor Freight and ended up ruining the chain. If yours is made in China it's probably made by the same company. I gave up and took it back.

Old 03-15-10, 09:37 PM
J
Didn't receive a file, but I did get a shaping stone to dress the wheel. I just don't know exactly how to dress it. I am experimenting with a new Stihl chain to set the angles and depth, etc.
I did get a gauge that measures file diameter, depth, pitch, and so on. Gotta learn to use that also.
From what I can gather so far, I need to use the 1/8" wheel on a 3/8" pitch chain.
Am just learning the ropes. I think tomorrow I will try to shape the wheel and sharpen my first chain.
Any advice out there?
John

Old 03-16-10, 04:28 AM
W
Sharpening Saw Chain

Set the grinding depth as shallow as possible, otherwise you will grind away too much metal, and the chain will not last very long.

You have two angles to be concerned about. The first is the angle as you look down from above. The second is the tilt angle as you look from the nose of the bar back toward the saw. Your manual should describe these angle requirements.

I prefer to use a file and clamp the bar in a vise while filing.

Good luck and be safe.

Old 03-30-10, 12:28 PM
J
Just a quick note.... I sharpened my first chain a few days ago and took it out yesterday and tried it out. Wow! it works better than when I paid to have it sharpened any time b4.
This sharpener (an Oregon 511ax knockoff) is on sale at Northern Tools for $89.99. I gave $101.99, but when I saw their new ad I called them and they refunded $12.
I'm on my way to pay for it since I have 7 chains to sharpen (at at least $6-8 apiece)
JM

Old 03-30-10, 01:09 PM
W
Sharpener

Congratulations! We always like to hear good news.

Old 06-03-10, 06:27 AM
B
The 1/8 inch wheel is for smaller chain. You should be using the 3/16. You'll find that the 3/16 will do a better job and last longer. The wheel will need to be flipped over every so often so it will sharpen continue to sharpen. The only part of the chain that really cuts is the top of the cutter so you need to keep an eye on the wheel and make sure the flatter side of the wheel is towards the cutter. I use the 1/4 inch wheel to lower the rakers. you need to lower them at some point or you will not be cutting any more. Get yourself a feeler gage and figure out what they need to be.

Old 07-10-10, 12:31 PM
E
wheel dressing, wheel size and tilt angle

Originally Posted by jammer0910
My sharpener came with 3 wheels (1/8”, 3/16”, and 1/4”). It says I must dress the wheel to fit in a u shaped guide, but I didn’t want to shape the wrong wheel and there is no guide for the 1/8” wheel.
For a 3/8” pitch chain what wheel should I use?
Also I don’t understand the tilt angle. My chain says 10 degrees.
I’m pretty new to this sharpening thing (and this is my first post to this forum) so I may have rambled on too long.
Please help. I was looking for a video on the net to show how to dress the wheel but couldn’t find anything.
Thanks, John
John,

It seems to me the dressing tool for the wheel is to be used when the wheel is worn down after a lot of use. You should not be at that state quite yet.

The correct wheel size is given you on page 9 of that horribly obtuse manual. The chart on page 9 is the one of the few things of value in the manual.

The "tilt angle" on page 9 is the difference in degrees above horizontal that you would use in a filing thrust with a hand file. I assume, but do not know for sure and hope someone will correct me...I assume this angle would represent an upward thrust from inside the chain toward the outside of cutter. Bound to be a better way to describe this.

If I am correct I would love to know. If not would be happy to know that as well.

Last edited by Eutychus; 07-10-10 at 03:10 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: