Help with my project

Old 03-14-10, 03:28 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with my project

Okay so I've never really done anything DIY, but I wanted to get the surfshelf, but I didn't want to spend $40, so I found this video: YouTube - How To: Mount a Laptop to Your Exercise Equipment and I decided to try and make it. I ended up spending a little over $30 on the metal anyway. OKAY so I had to cut everything with a hacksaw, which just took a little longer, but almost everything is cut now, but one of the right angle rods is like 1 or 2 mm longer than the other one, so idk how to shorten it....I've tried filing it, but that would take forever to file that much off...I have a flat file, which seems kind of dull now and it makes a horrid sound when I try to file it, I have a round file that seems like it's brand new, and I have a smaller half round file. So for everything else, I used the larger flat file to flatten everything and then the smaller half round one to smooth everything. Now, I don't know how to get it shorter....I don't want to spend a lot on an angle grinder that I may never use after this, so can anyone recommend something that I can do?
Thanks!

OH and btw, it's 1/8" aluminum.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-10, 03:43 PM
If you don't want to spend any more money on this one project then I'd start looking for a neighbor with an angle grinder.

The usual method of taking off a small portion of material from the end of wood or metal using a hand saw would be to clamp it in a miter box, which is a piece of wood with two boards at right angles with guide cuts made in it. You aren't able to follow a kerf with the amount of material you want to remove, so the miter box would keep your saw on track for you.

This piece you want to cut, can you tell if this error will matter in the final fit?

EDIT : Aluminum!? Keep filing!

Old 03-14-10, 03:46 PM
F
I'm pretty sure it will still work, but I'm kinda OCD, and it has to be even....: And even with a miter box, it still seems a way too small amount to cut....it's about 1/8 inch that I need off.

Old 03-14-10, 03:49 PM
That's one of the functions of a miter box. If you clamp the piece that is. Of course now were talking clamps as well as the miter box.

Keep filing. It's good for your OCD!!

Old 03-14-10, 03:50 PM
F
yes but the file makes this horrid screeching sound....I think the file is dull or something...

Old 03-14-10, 04:00 PM
What about bracing another piece over it so you have a guide to saw with?

Old 03-14-10, 04:01 PM
F
huh? can you explain with a little more depth? Like i said, this is my first DIY project...and I don't have a miter box..

Last edited by ferrari353; 03-14-10 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-14-10, 04:38 PM
oops sorry, I was looking at other posts.
I mean laying another piece of metal across the end you want to cut with just the amount you want to cut sticking out. Kneel on it on one end and brace it with one hand will you cut with the other. That way your saw has a guide to keep your cut on track.

Either that or keep filing. Using earplugs.

Old 03-14-10, 04:49 PM
F
but it's right angle, and when I lean on it, I get scared that it will bend under me....and it's not just the sound, it's not filing very well either.

Old 03-14-10, 05:05 PM
F
yay! it worked! I did what you said! I put my knee on it though and held it with one hand, and it worked fine, but it was a really uncomfortable position for me, because I was like over it, but my arm was way back pushing the saw...so I put two 10lb weights on it, and held it with my hand, and I cut with the other, and it worked! TYSM! I'll take a pic of the finished thing once I finish.