Can an 18 Volt Cordless Impact *Driver* (not wrench) be used to remove Lug Nuts?

Old 04-11-10, 09:30 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can an 18 Volt Cordless Impact *Driver* (not wrench) be used to remove Lug Nuts?

Quick question, has anyone used their impact driver with a ˝ or 3/8th socket adapter (I own a few of that are “impact rated”) in conjunction with a deep well socket to remove their cars lug nuts? I would not be using it to torque them back on just to break them free which can sometimes be a pain on my car (2003 Audi A4). I have read mixed things online about this topic, some people say they have used theirs to break them free with no issues, some say they have to loosen them with a breaker bar first and others that you need an impact wrench and a driver is not powerful enough. I would buy an impact wrench but I feel that their usefulness would be limited to removing lug nuts and other large bolts as well as driving lag bolts, where as the impact driver is much for versatile and based on what I have read/heard about them I would be able to use it for many other tasks as well, it is also $35 less than the wrench.

Just as an FYI I already own this Milwaukee M18 4 tool set, the 2694-24 which comes with a Hammer Drill, Recip Saw, Circular Saw and Light.

Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2694-24 M18 18-Volt 4-Tool Cordless Combo Kit: Home Improvement

I also have the M18 Compact Drill kit, which I got this past Christmas and liked so much it prompted me to buy this 4 tool kit, it also gave me two chargers and 4 batteries total, 2 of the XC larger capacity ones as well as two of the smaller compact ones which works with the drills, light and would work in the impact driver as well if I bought it. So I can save quite a bit of money here as I do not need to buy the tool in a kit, I can just get the tool only for much less money, the two of them are listed below...

Amazon.com: Bare-Tool Milwaukee 2650-20 M18 18-Volt Impact Driver (Tool Only, No Battery): Home Improvement ($85)

Amazon.com: Bare-Tool Milwaukee 2652-20 M18 18-Volt 1/2-Inch Cordless Compact Impact Wrench with Ring (Tool Only, No Battery): Home Improvement ($120)

Let me know what you think, but even more useful would be the experiences of people who have actually tried or used their impact driver to remove lug nuts with or without success I would love to hear about it. If I comes down to it I will probably go with the impact driver over the wrench anyway because I can just see so many uses for it where as the wrench I see sitting un-used most of the time, then later down the line I may just go for a corded impact wrench.

Old 04-11-10, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Take a look at post #15 in this thread....
http://forum.doityourself.com/outdoo...amp-blade.html

cheese says it can....
impact driver 1400 in lb = 117 ft lb might be iffy and the socket attachment might be a weak link.
impact wrench 2200 in lb = 183 ft lb so no reason why it shouldn't

Old 04-11-10, 10:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Got a double post going here. I'm just doubtful the gearing will hold up to the punishment of the lug nuts, but it may.

Old 04-11-10, 12:17 PM
M
Yes I posted this in this forum as well as the Automotive as I figured that there may be different people who visit each forum since there are so many separate ones on this site! I posted the same reply below in the other thread as well.

Thanks for the replies so far, this is what I figured would be the case, I am sure in some instances people have been able to break lug nuts with their impact driver and a socket adapter but that was probably an ideal situation where the lugs were certainly not seized on and possibly not torqued down enough either. The other thing is the tool may be able to do it some of the time, but you may risk damaging the tool and I am sure you would break many of the socket adapter bits.

The Milwaukee Impact Driver is rated for 1,400 in lbs of torque so I am not sure what that works out to be in Ft Lbs but either way I have never relied to specs alone to try and calculate if something will be suitable. Too many variations in how manufacturers test and inflated numbers out there to rely on them, and that doesn't just apply to tools alone!

Like I mentioned I think that the impact driver will still be my next cordless tool purchase as I want to round out my M18 kit with one as well as the Jigsaw that is in the lineup. And then I will look to get a corded Impact Wrench later on, because honestly I do not need a cordless one, if I am changing my tires I will be doing it maybe 4 times a year for winter to summer tires and rotations and I will have access to an outlet so by going with an electric I will probably be able to get more power and spend less money as well.

Old 04-14-10, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Had to throw this out....got a note from Amazon today...
http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-Milw...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

Is that a deal or what????

Wish I had Milwaukee tools....sigh.....

Old 04-14-10, 03:45 PM
Great deal if you already had other Milwaukee tools. Less than $100 for the tool, add $100 each for batteries, and probably that much for a charger, and you are back at $400.

Old 04-14-10, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah..thats why I put it out...the OP has a bunch of Milwaukee tools already...so I thought there may be others.

I mean jeez...the updated version of that drill is going for $275 or so....

Last edited by Gunguy45; 04-14-10 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-16-10, 05:10 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I don't use it much because I have a pneumatic one as well but someone gave me an electric impact wrench from HF ($40) and it works just fine - plenty of torque for breaking nuts loose, I think it's rated for 260 ft-lbs.

Old 04-16-10, 01:38 PM
Oh, we use electric ones to install lag screws and carriage bolts on decks. Great labor saver. I was just dubious about the ability of a battery powered one to undo something that was done by Sven the Hulkmeister at the tire mart.

Old 04-17-10, 11:25 AM
M
I have been eying that Milwaukee SDS Drill and SDS Drills in general, I have done too many bathroom renovations and ripped up well laid tile with just a hammer and chisel and the next time a job like that comes up I know I am going to run out and buy an SDS drill and probably pay more money than I should. So I have been thinking ahead, I am looking at corded models mainly right now I am really liking the

Amazon.com: Makita HR2475X2 1-Inch Rotary Hammer (includes free GA4530 4-1/2-Inch Grinder): Home Improvement

it has a 7.0 Amp motor, feels great in your hands, very ergonomic and not too heavy but certainly not light. My local Home Depot has this puppy on sale for just $200 which would be worth it alone, but to make the deal even sweater it includes a free 4 1/2" cut off grinder and 5 SDS bits as well as a few different discs for the grinder! And SDS bits alone are fairly expensive, I just do not want to pass this up for $200 even though I don't really have any use or see a future need for a cutoff grinder at the moment I am sure once I play with it I will find uses for it That is the great thing about using good tools, you always come up with new projects or reasons to use them.

I have also checked out the

Amazon.com: Bosch 11255VSR BULLDOG Xtreme 1-Inch SDS-plus D-Handle Rotary Hammer: Home Improvement

But that puppy is $250 on both Amazon and at my local store, it is a nice tool and may be a bit better quality than the Makita, but I wont be relying on this tool everyday to make a living so I think the Makita is a much sweeter deal, dammit I am probably gonna go end up buying it this weekend now that I have gotten myself excited about it again haha!

Now as for that Milwaukee, that thing used to go for at least $250 for the bare tool and I think it would be great esp. for $80 that is a steal. The thing is all my tools are from the newer M18 line that is replacing the older V18 line, which is what that drill is a member of. BUT my father owns a very nice 3 year old Milwaukee V18 Kit with a Drill and Circular Saw as well as two batteries and a charger of course. So if I bought this we could both use it with his current batteries/changer and he is looking to pick up a third battery anyway. They go for $90 for a single battery but I am honestly thinking about picking up this

Amazon.com: Milwaukee 0881-22 18-Volt V18 1/4-Inch Hex Impact Driver Kit: Home Improvement

That would give me two batteries, the charger, a case and the tool of course for just $260! That is like paying $40 for the tool itself and then I could pick up a few other V18 tools because they are priced so low right now it is pretty much robbery and once they are gone that's it.

The SDS Drill would be at the top of my list as well as the bare tool V18 Sawzall which is only $47! They are practically giving that away at that price. I already own the M18 Sawzall and I love it but this one has been around for a while and gotten some great reviews, it would be a nice birthday gift to my Father too!

To add to my confusion about what to do even more I just found the SDS Drill Kit for just under $300!

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-0856...528480&sr=1-16

Not sure why it says new, must be a typo, but again factor in the price you would pay for two batteries, a charger and case and the tool itself is still only $60 or so! I am not sure yet, but I do think it would be nice to own a few tools from the V18 even if the line is being phased out, my Dad and I would have 4 batteries between us, 2 of them brand new so we would get at least another 2 years out of his and a good 5 out of mine. The tools are not quite as ergonomic and pleasing to use at my M18 tools but in my experience they are durable, powerful and get the job done at a great price! My Dad has beat the crap out of his drill over the past 3 years and it still runs like a champ, he is even using the older ni-cad batteries and they are showing no signs of power loss either! What can I say I am a Milwaukee fan boy I suppose!

Old 04-17-10, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
I think the older drill can use the newer batteries can't it?

Just remember..as with all cordless tools..if the batteries don't get used regularly...its better to buy a corded item. That Makita set does look pretty nice. I have a Makita 4" grinder that I've had at least 15 yrs. Cost me $10 at the base exchange when they changed displays or suppliers. Still works just fine.

Old 04-18-10, 01:25 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandler
I was just dubious about the ability of a battery powered one to undo something that was done by Sven the Hulkmeister at the tire mart.
I used to know these powerlifter dudes that were into one-upping each other's story about who could break off the most lug bolts by hand when changing tires. No joke.

Old 04-18-10, 04:04 PM
M
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
I think the older drill can use the newer batteries can't it?

Just remember..as with all cordless tools..if the batteries don't get used regularly...its better to buy a corded item. That Makita set does look pretty nice. I have a Makita 4" grinder that I've had at least 15 yrs. Cost me $10 at the base exchange when they changed displays or suppliers. Still works just fine.
Unfortunately Milwaukee did not go the route DeWalt and some others did in the sense that you can use pretty much any battery from any type of DeWalt tool, IE older batteries work in newer tools and I think that rule applies the other way around as well and newer batteries work in older tools, provided they are the same voltage of course. Milwaukee decided to completely phase out and replace the V18 line with the M18 line, The V18 tools would accept either an 18 Volt Ni-Cad Battery or an 18 Volt Lithium-Ion battery that was released later on as well. Many people are upset that they cannot use their V18 batteries with new M18 tools and have to spend more to get new batteries that they technically already own. I started off with the M18 line of tools so unless that goes away any time soon I should have nothing to worry about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: