Cordless drill - DeWalt or Makita?

Old 04-25-10, 10:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Cordless drill - DeWalt or Makita?

Hi all,

I was really frustrated today to find out that my POS Kawasaki drill could not tight the screw all the way. Battery was too week after full charge.

So I borrowed from a friend Makita BDF452 Makita BDF452HW 18V Cordless LXT Lithium-Ion 1/2-in Driver Drill Kit
And was really impressed with it.

Then I started doing research and came across Home Depot's User review page
Makita Makita 18V Compact Lithium-Ion Drill Driver - BDF452HW at The Home Depot

and few people said that after 1+ year battery looses its power ie. it does not hold charge as when it was new. But isn't that pretty much the case with any other brand DeWalt, Milwaukee etc. ?

So eventually I wanna buy nice drill that wont let me down a simple project like building compost bin.

What do you guys prefer as far as brands?

Old 04-26-10, 06:20 AM
DeWalt and Porter Cable have become my two favs for cordless power tools.

I suggest you purchase an impact and drill driver set. It will usually come with a flash light as well and will cost maybe an extra $50-$100 compared to just buying the drill/driver on it's own.

The batt's will only last about a year before losing their ability to hold a full charge. That is of course dependent on use and physics more so than brand.

Lithium Ion is the newer technology which allows the bat's to be lighter and offer a little more power than the NiCad.

Honestly, I believe the brand you choose will not be as important as you think. Ryobi makes some pretty nice cordless tools as well and are the least expensive out there.

Home Depots own brand RIGID is also highly touted.

Old 04-26-10, 06:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 758 Upvotes on 663 Posts
I think you'll be happy with most any of the well known brands. I don't have any experience with lithium batteries but from what I've read - that's the way to go.

Batteries don't last forever but how often you use it can play a part in how long it will last. A seldom used battery won't hold up near as long as one that's used regularly. That's why [in my IMO] seldom used tools are better off being corded.

If you are going to have several [or more] battery operated tools it's nice to have them all the same make using the same battery. It's both convenient and cost effective.

Makita used to be the brand preferred by most pros although now dewalt is more commonly seen on a jobsite. I have craftsman 19.2 volt that I'm well pleased with.... just wish I could talk myself into spending the $ to switch to the lithium batteries and charger.

Old 04-26-10, 10:33 PM
J
Thanks guys!

Now I have to same more money and get well know brand that won't let me down like Kawasaki did

$178.20 w/ free ship.
Amazon.com: Makita BDF452HW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2-Inch Driver-Drill Kit: Home Improvement

$212.99 w/ free ship.
Amazon.com: Makita BHP452HW 18-Volt Compact Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2-Inch Driver-Drill Kit with Hammer Mode: Home Improvement

Last link does now have impact driver? What is hammer mode?

Old 05-01-10, 07:56 PM
M
As mentioned I think that any of the major brands would suit you find, either Makita, Dewalt, Ridgid, Milwaukee and hell even Ryobi isn't as bad as some people make them out to be. Everyone will have their own personal brand preference based on past positive and negative experiences with tools. I personally had very good experiences with my fathers Milwaukee cordless tools so I bought myself a 4 tool combo kit and I love it. Not to confuse you more but this Milwaukee is directly comparable to the Makita's you linked...

Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2601-22 18-Volt Li-ion Compact Drill Kit: Home Improvement

I personally own this compact drill kit, as well as the more powerful 2602-20 hammer drill that came with my 4 tool combo. The compact drill is great and works for 80% of what I do and I really only use the hammer drill if I am drilling masonry or large diameter holes in wood with a hole saw, but the compact drill is plenty powerful for most situations. I really like this drill/impact driver kit for $200 and think it is a good deal...

Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2691-22 18-Volt Compact Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit: Home Improvement

Like already mentioned once you buy a cordless tool you will want to stick with that brand so you don't have several different chargers and batteries to carry around. For me I have nothing against Makita and I own several tools made by them, but when I compared the drill you are looking at to the Milwaukee it felt slightly cheaper to me and not as well made, again that is just the impression that I got, from what I have read they are both great and you really cant go wrong.

BTW a hammer drill typically has a special operating mode similar to the drilling mode that makes the drill operate as if you were hitting the back of it with a hammer as you drill, it is useful for drilling masonry.

Last edited by Matt_Smi; 05-01-10 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-02-10, 11:55 PM
J
Originally Posted by Matt_Smi View Post
As mentioned I think that any of the major brands would suit you find, either Makita, Dewalt, Ridgid, Milwaukee and hell even Ryobi isn't as bad as some people make them out to be. Everyone will have their own personal brand preference based on past positive and negative experiences with tools. I personally had very good experiences with my fathers Milwaukee cordless tools so I bought myself a 4 tool combo kit and I love it. Not to confuse you more but this Milwaukee is directly comparable to the Makita's you linked...

Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2601-22 18-Volt Li-ion Compact Drill Kit: Home Improvement

I personally own this compact drill kit, as well as the more powerful 2602-20 hammer drill that came with my 4 tool combo. The compact drill is great and works for 80% of what I do and I really only use the hammer drill if I am drilling masonry or large diameter holes in wood with a hole saw, but the compact drill is plenty powerful for most situations. I really like this drill/impact driver kit for $200 and think it is a good deal...

Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2691-22 18-Volt Compact Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit: Home Improvement

Like already mentioned once you buy a cordless tool you will want to stick with that brand so you don't have several different chargers and batteries to carry around. For me I have nothing against Makita and I own several tools made by them, but when I compared the drill you are looking at to the Milwaukee it felt slightly cheaper to me and not as well made, again that is just the impression that I got, from what I have read they are both great and you really cant go wrong.

BTW a hammer drill typically has a special operating mode similar to the drilling mode that makes the drill operate as if you were hitting the back of it with a hammer as you drill, it is useful for drilling masonry.
Thanks for the reply!

Now I just have to save more money...

Old 05-29-10, 06:23 PM
L
I have the Makita 452 you first mentioned, and I really like it. Don't see how you can go wrong. The comparable Milwaukee has had good reviews, but I haven't used it. I do have several of their tools, and have been satisfied with them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: