Question about central pneumatic nailer

Old 07-27-10, 10:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question about central pneumatic nailer

I have a central pneumatic nailer. Its item # is 94000. It says that it only accepts 28 degree, paper collated cartridges. Now I want to use it to build a fence. I've trying to buy nails for this gun, but have had no luck. The closest I can find is the 28 degree, paper collated nails from Harbor Freight. But those are not hot dip galvanized that you need for treated lumber. My local Lowes has wire weld 28 degree thick coat galvanized nails. I'm thinking if I can use those regardless of the red letters on the nail gun that say I shouldn't.

There is this central pneumatic nailer which looks exactly like the one I have, and it accepts wire weld nails. That's why I think it may not be so bad if I use wire weld nails on my nailer.

So my questions, is what I'm contemplating of doing dangerous? What's the worst that can happen if I do it?

Old 07-27-10, 10:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
You might call HF's tech dept and ask them. It's been a long time since I've talked to them but they have been helpful in the past.

Old 07-27-10, 10:33 AM
B
Thanks for the reply. I called HF. The technician told me that if I use wire weld nails, the only problem I have will be jamming occasionally. So I guess I will go with wire-weld nails.

Old 07-27-10, 03:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just be aware Bostitch nails are ThickCoat, not Hot dipped galvanized. Make sure the box says they are approved for use on ACQ. Older ones weren't. Newer ones may be.

Old 07-28-10, 09:23 AM
B
Yes, I think it says thick coat on the box of the nail that I intended to use. Do you mean thick coat is still not good enough for ACQ, and it has to be hot dipped?

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Just be aware Bostitch nails are ThickCoat, not Hot dipped galvanized. Make sure the box says they are approved for use on ACQ. Older ones weren't. Newer ones may be.

Old 07-28-10, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No...I think what he means is that older boxes of that brand may not be ACQ approved but that newer stuff should be. I'm very surprised that I can't find that info on their products at their website. Most places push that fact.

You'll just have to check the box.

Old 07-28-10, 06:08 PM
B
Thanks for the answer. I just bought two boxes of the Bostitch nails. On the box, it says "recommended for all treated lumber". So this gives me the peace of mind.

Old 07-28-10, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Ehhhhh I'd be concerned that it didn't mention ACQ specifically? Of course that's assuming you are using ACQ.

Old 07-28-10, 07:30 PM
In the corner it should say something like "approved for ACQ. I use Bostitch framers for...well framing, but use a Senco framer when doing decks, because it will shoot HDG nails. Just a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Old 07-29-10, 10:13 AM
P
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Bostitch nails for ACQ

According to the Bostitch site, the galvanized nails are cut which means that the tops and tips are not galvanized. The Thickcoat Galvanized are approved for ACQ. Open the link and search for "Thickcoat".

http://www.bostitch.com/xhtml/litera...atalog_WEB.pdf

Old 07-29-10, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator
Ahh...I didn't see that. I would have thought they would have put that in their FAQs?

The part about the nails being cut only applies to the galv finish nails I believe...I DID find that...lol.

Old 07-29-10, 02:24 PM
B
Thanks for the information. Now one problem solved, another emerged.

My central pneumatic nailer leaks from exhaust, and it stops leaking when I pull the trigger and press the nose against something. What's wrong with it?

Old 07-29-10, 02:30 PM
Rebuild time. It happens. Not expensive, just a PITA. You can buy the kits and do it yourself. Make sure your air pressure is set no more than 90 lbs. at dead end.

Old 07-29-10, 02:48 PM
B
Is it the o-rings? What is the kit called and where can I buy it?

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Rebuild time. It happens. Not expensive, just a PITA. You can buy the kits and do it yourself. Make sure your air pressure is set no more than 90 lbs. at dead end.

Old 07-29-10, 03:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You might want to call HF again, they'll have the parts if they are still available. If not you should be able to take the o-rings out and match them up.

Old 07-29-10, 09:32 PM
B
It looks like the nail gun is fine. I took it apart and greased here and there and then put it together. Then it started to work just fine. So I'm all set to shoot some nails.

Old 07-29-10, 10:50 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Be sure to dribble a few drops of air tool oil into the air hose connection of the gun every day that you plan on using the tool. It only takes a few drops but those few drops are important.

Old 07-30-10, 08:06 PM
B
Thanks for reminding me that.

I shot a few nails today. It looks to me that once I unplugged the compressor, the air pressure dropped very quickly when I started to use the nail gun. Mine is 21 gallon, I got it to 100 psi, then unplug it and drag it to work site. I had hoped that it will last for may be a few hundred nails. But the pressure dropped to about 60 psi after about 30 nails. It is true that the air connectors leaked a little. But it looked to me that even if the connectors were tight, it still couldn't last much longer.

I will buy an extension cord tomorrow and have it plugged when I work. And also I will buy some teflon tape and hope they will stop the leak. Or are there better ways to do this?

Old 07-31-10, 05:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Make sure you get a heavy duty extension cord, 12 gauge would be best.

Old 07-31-10, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Inexpensive framers use more air I would guess..and leaking hoses don't help of course. I think you were hoping for the moon with "a few hundred nails".

I can probably do 20 or so from my finish nailer before my comp kicks on. Not as big a tank as yers..but its set at 125 pressure with 100 regulated output.

As was said..get a big honking cord, 12 ga if you can find it, if the power is very far from your work area. Or it might be cheaper to buy extra hose if feasible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: