Recommendation for compound miter saw

Old 07-31-10, 02:32 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recommendation for compound miter saw

I am replacing all the baseboards in our house. I have borrowed a friend's Ryobi 8" compound miter saw and am thinking I should get my own. Any recommendations for the home user? I don't need a Dewalt or anything like that. Would like to stay under $150.

Old 07-31-10, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ryobi makes a good homeowner grade saw and the 8" is a fine one with the laser and all. I cut baseboard, and a lot of 5 1/2" speedbase in my business, and found even with better 12" saws like Bosch the motor restricts the downward travel of the blade when it hits the molding (cutting standing on edge). I have opted for a Ridgid 12" with an offset motor and belt drive. Really nice for the tall molding. Just look at the possibilities you will be cutting and look over what is out there in your price range. Don't forget pawn shops, etc for deals as well.

Old 07-31-10, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Lowes has a halfway decent 10" Hitachi for $149. Find some product in their store that has one of those $25 off Lowes "project starter cards" when you spend over $100 and buy that first. Then go back and buy the saw.

Old 08-01-10, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'd suggest you keep checking the Home Center sites or stores until you see the new models come out. Ask the people in the tool area when they expect a product reset or when the factory Rep is normally in the store. You can pick up a display (sometimes a great deal if complete) or last years model new in the box for 50% off many times. I got a 10" Ridgid w/laser for $99 when it was normally $199 a few years back.

Any of the brands mentioned would be fine for normal homeowner use. I'd suggest a minimum 10" blade..it gives you a bit more flexibility w/o getting unwieldy.

Old 08-02-10, 06:02 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I'd ask how old are you? Over the years you will find a lot more uses for your saw than you now thing you will. Get the biggest and best you can afford. I like the Rigid because of it's life time warranty. A year from now you won't remember what you paid for it but you'll be glad you have it.

Old 08-02-10, 04:21 PM
E
My father in law just picked up a Kobalt 10" compound miter with slide and laser from lowes for 199. Let me tell you. This is the BEST saw ive ever used. we had to test it out to see what it could cut. Because of the slide i was able to easily cut a 2x12. We renovated a living room with vinyl beadboard and all new mouldings and trims, this saw was great. Im buying one as soon as i have a trailer to store all my tools in..

EJ

Old 08-06-10, 08:54 PM
M
you might take a look at this place...

Hitachi C10FCE2 10" Compound Miter Saw (Reconditioned)

heard lots of good things about them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: